550XP kept shutting off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 550XP is maybe a month old. This weekend I cut up a tree in my yard and then a massive section of trunk in my neighbor's yard. Initially the saw took 15-20 pulls to get started and then once it was going, if I set it down and once or twice if I wasn't hitting the throttle it would just turn off. Then, even though it was warmed up...it'd still take 5-10 pulls to start up again.

Now I was able to butcher up trunk round that was easily 3' in diameter. I made about 6 cuts. I just wish I could figure out why the saw was so hard to start and then would shut off/stall.

I was using fresh 91 octane non-eth. and Husq. 2 stroke oil mixed properly (50:1 mix).

Another issue I had was the bar oil. I did see a fine puff/mist come off the end of the saw once but the chain didn't seem greased up when I was cutting. I tried pulling off the brake/cover and cleaning it out real good and then resetting the bar in place and tightening everything back up....still no difference.

Thoughts?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Did you buy the saw new or used?

Check the adjustment screw on your oiler. If the bar wasn't getting enough oil turn it up a notch or two.

I'm not a pro, but an experienced acreage owner. I'd say I have several hundred hours on my 550, my thoughts...

Turn up the oiler, I do on mine. Secondly, my saw is pissy with a slightly clogged air filter. Part of the auto tune is supposed to be compensating for a clogged air filter. I take canned compressed air in my chainsaw case to blow the filter off in the field. If you have a compressor in your garage blow the filter out well before each use. Take that time and clean under then clutch cover well too. I use spray silicone to keep pitch from softwoods like pine from building up as much spray on the inside of your clutch cover..too much pitch and chips can affect your oil making it down your bar to the chain. Got to clean your saw....

Lastly check the plug and get the exact ngk spark plug recommended in your manual, CMR6H. Don't get a generic. And possibly a new fuel filter too. I'd do all the basics before I really start digging. My 550 will do that sometimes too - start better off a cold start been sitting for a month than a warm start. I do also have a blue shroud for over the pull start crank side for cold weather operation - was it very cold when you were running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back