56cc mastercraft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdncutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi this is my first post here. i just killed my poulan 3416 that i've had for about 10yrs, but had very low hours, so a friend gave me his mastercraft 56cc that hadn't run in quite a while. carb rebuild later, runs great. used it some today. until the recoil malfunctioned and wont retract. i cant find any info on these saws as to who made them etc. this one is made in canada, sold at candian tire, this saw is from early 80's.
wondering who made them? what parts interchange with what? ie recoil? etc? any info would be great thanks.

Did you pull off the recoil yet? Probably at most needs a new spring

Like this? One on CDN auction

44755679.jpg

I had the cover off in the bush today but i haven't yet actually taken the recoil out yet. Wasnt doing that in the bush lol
No I wouldn't be doing that either.
Don't just pull the recoil off, if you can clearly feel that the spring is NOT attached slowly remove it and the spring hopefully will stay seated. Sometimes just the hook on the end of the recoil spring needs to be re-bent to hook onto the the pull start or it may have just slipped and needs a couple of turns put back on it. but I've seen recoils in pieces, requiring a new spring (easy to get)

No I wouldn't be doing that either.
Don't just pull the recoil off, if you can clearly feel that the spring is NOT attached slowly remove it and the spring hopefully will stay seated. Sometimes just the hook on the end of the recoil spring needs to be re-bent to hook onto the the pull start or it may have just slipped and needs a couple of turns put back on it. but I've seen recoils in pieces, requiring a new spring (easy to get)[/QUOTE
I figure it is likely broken. It has sat for a while. I was planning on looking at it tomorrow. But i was really looking for general info on the saw. Who made them? Max bar i could run on this saw? That kind of stuff. I cant seem to find any info online. Put mastercraft in google, comes up with craftsman sawsp

It is a Poulan 3400 series, 56 cc. Happy with 18" bar but could pull a 20". Pulleys are getting harder to find, springs you can still get. Like another poster said when removing puller take spring pressure off by turning counter clockwise slightly and lift off.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Also the mastercrafts had chainbrakes, been looking for one for a while for my poulan 3800s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Thx everyone. Took the recoild apart today. Spring is good, not broken, but has come unhoooked from its anchor.i tried to get the spring back in position, but had no luck lol. Will take to a shop here in town and have the spring but back in properly.

These are early 80s for the most part, made by poulan, the Canadian mastercraft rebrand had brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back