576xp auto tune vs 390xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone (first post)!

Awakening a long-dead thread I know, but I'm facing the same decision ...

Have a 372XP that's getting long in the tooth - good deals on both 576XP AT and the 390XP

The saw will be cutting Australian hardwood (mostly red box / yellow box / ironbark), which is very dense / heavy / hard - sectioning 6-10m trunks that are commonly more than a metre across into 12-inch biscuits for firewood - a lot of big cuts

The 372 gets by, but not with much power left over - would like a little more - the immediacy of the 576 motor is appealing, but the 390 will probably pull a lot harder

Any thoughts - effectiveness of both saws? - durability? - other considerations?

[re' these two saws only please - as mentioned good deals on both, and will go one way or the other]

Hello everyone (first post)!

Awakening a long-dead thread I know, but I'm facing the same decision ...

Have a 372XP that's getting long in the tooth - good deals on both 576XP AT and the 390XP

The saw will be cutting Australian hardwood (mostly red box / yellow box / ironbark), which is very dense / heavy / hard - sectioning 6-10m trunks that are commonly more than a metre across into 12-inch biscuits for firewood - a lot of big cuts

The 372 gets by, but not with much power left over - would like a little more - the immediacy of the 576 motor is appealing, but the 390 will probably pull a lot harder

Any thoughts - effectiveness of both saws? - durability? - other considerations?

[re' these two saws only please - as mentioned good deals on both, and will go one way or the other]

A "good deal" initially might be a bad deal long term as you burn up the good deal saw. Just sayin. What you are describing as the work required, go to the 395, much less worries, run a full 3 foot bar all day.

Bar length?

Will take advice on most appropriate length for the new saw on purchase - open book at this stage - suggestions for these two saws, cutting hardwoods?

A "good deal" initially might be a bad deal long term as you burn up the good deal saw. Just sayin. What you are describing as the work required, go to the 395, much less worries, run a full 3 foot bar all day.

I guess at the end of the day, only want the one saw - and the 395 seems to me to be too heavy for the smaller wood

The 390 will have more power but will also use more gas (the 576AT is quite efficient for its power). So if fuel consumption is a big issue, this should be considered.

Many people say that the 576AT has proven itself since this thread originated (original posts here are 2011) with few issues. Since the autotune keeps the saw at an ideal level, then it can be as strong as a 390 thats slightly out of tune. Certainly the 390 has more HP, but they both actually have similar torque, which could be good in Aussie hardwood. Though I can't say you'll see a major jump up from the 372 with the 576 as you might see with the 390, especially if you are seeking some more power.

Also, if your weather varies a lot, the autotune would be quite helpful.

As far a bar length, the 390 actually has a shorter (28") recommended max bar length than the 576AT (32"). Thats not to say the 390 can't handle a 32 o 36" bar (it can) but there's a variety of speculation on why this is recommended (look for other threads on this in in regards to the 390 crank bearings and/or its inboard clutch)

But, if considering any milling, then go for the bigger saw which is without autotune.

Hope this was helpful.

Do you work on your saws yourself? Auto tune seems like a dealer maintenance saw only. Unless you buy all the new tools to work on it. Just remember no replacement for displacement. I would go with the 390xp. Need any extra power you can get if you need a 36" bar at times.

Thanks all - it's a hard choice, but I may be leaning toward the 576XP AT

Pic below shows a typical (this morning's) scenario

Takes a fair bit of grunt to section something like this red box (Eucalyptus polyanthemos) into 12-inch biscuits - very dense, heavy hardwood - brilliant firewood, and easy to split - also nice for furniture making - but not easy to cut

IMG_2973.JPG

I would go with the 390xp personally, I don't think there would be enough of a difference between a 372xp and 576xpat. And if you are considering milling with the saw, a 394/395 would be a better choice because of the outboard clutch.

i don't even know what i like anymore. seems the only things that don't break down for me are 660 stihls lol i've had terrible luck with 390's recently but maybe i just need to buy some new ones.

Thanks all - it's a hard choice, but I may be leaning toward the 576XP AT

Pic below shows a typical (this morning's) scenario

Takes a fair bit of grunt to section something like this red box (Eucalyptus polyanthemos) into 12-inch biscuits - very dense, heavy hardwood - brilliant firewood, and easy to split - also nice for furniture making - but not easy to cut

View attachment 510381

i would never even consider a 576 if i had a 372. if i had to choose between the 576 or the 372 i'd take the 372. 576 is a nice smooth saw no doubt but they handle like a gut shot seagull compared to a 372. fell with a 576AT for a month before i sent it down the road. got 4 372's and 3 390's which are way better saws for the work i do. the 576 certainly did the job BUT i would never buy another one.

Thanks - the 372 I have has certainly been a nice saw - the Husky air filtration system really shines on this sort of hardwood, and particularly the long cuts - so much ultra-fine red dust - the Stihl I had previously needed a change of air filter with each tank of fuel - sometimes more often - just hopeless

But the 372 has done a fair bit of work, and for tax reasons it makes sense to trade it in - you can't buy 372s here any more - the 576 is the next up, then the 390 - I'm not looking for much more power than the 372 (which gets the job done)

Re' clouds of fine red dust, thought the AT feature of the 576 might be a good thing

I'm not doing any milling - just sectioning these fallen trees for firewood - provide for a couple of houses - we don't have any other sort of heating - reasonably cold winters, by Australian standards - snows sometimes

if i were you i'd forget husky all together and get a Dolmar 7910 with the heavy duty air filter. i've read it is the cats meow for dusty conditions. the 576 may even be better filtering then a 372 because the filter is actually sealed to the filter holder with a rubber insert in the filter. i say this so you are aware of it and don't lose it as it falls out when the filter is tapped. my 576 needed the splined idle adjustment turned open 3 turns before it would actually idle without stalling after a long cut. other then that i thought it was a great saw BUT it felt like an underpowered 390 to me hence the reason why i wouldn't buy another one. AT is nice though.

No Dolmar dealers in Australia anymore (merged into Makita, and disappeared) - no Jonsred - a few fringe-dwellers still seem to be selling Echos

Essentially a two horse race here as far as quality chainsaws go

Don't want another Stihl

So the Huskies are where we're at - and of those, the 576 and 390 are ones I'm looking at

390 for sure- no replacement for displacement. If you was feeling froggy you could pull a 42" bar for falling or milling as they have enough under the hood and the other alternative not so much. But that's just me, I like showing up with a shotgun to a knife fight :happy:

I would say the biggest disadvantage to the 390xp is the weight but if most or all your sawing is driving up to a log like that and dismantling it your not realy going to feel the weight of the saw. I would go with the 390.

No Dolmar dealers in Australia anymore (merged into Makita, and disappeared) .....

Dolmar has been owned by Makita since about 1992. There is no Dolmar dealers here either, but you can order the saws from Makita (at least you could the last time I checked).

Dolmar has been owned by Makita since about 1992. There is no Dolmar dealers here either, but you can order the saws from Makita (at least you could the last time I checked).

Here there are no dedicated Makita dealers - their goods are really just sold through hardware stores

Both Stihl and Husky have a dedicated shopfront presence, which is a good thing re' after sales service from people who know the products

The other issue is that Makita Australia only sells a handful (3 I think) Dolmar models - and none of them big / pro saws - just household stuff

We've still got an old Dolmar that must have been bought in the 80s - great saw - still going well - would certainly get another

Anyway, as things stand there's not really a good alternative to the two big orange brands - which is Ok, as between them theres a fair range

[you'd agree with that Jeffkrib?]

Problem with all the good advice (appreciated) is that I keep changing my mind ...

:dumb:

Latest posts

Back