6 way adjustable splitting wedge for my Rayco

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvr-enuf

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
I have a Rayco splitter which was manufactured with a 4 way adjustable (up and down) splitter wedge. I would like to have a 6 way wedge - one thought was to see if a Timberwolf 6 way wedge would fit onto my unit.

I would like not to modify / weld on my current 4 way.

Another thought is to add a separate horizontal above my 4 way. By doing so, if the wood starts to bind, the added 2 way horizontal simply rises out if the way. I have some experience with homemade 6 way and the issue is binding between wedges

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

If anyone out there has a Rayco with a 6 way from factory, please call me 2627194047. I would love to hear how well it works

Thanks

Can you make a complete seperate knife for it?

I have a 4 way as well as 6 way knife for my processor. Normally use the 6 way, but the 4 way had been handy several times too.

Just a thought. I'm not sure how it's setup, just guessing based off your description.

I called timberwolf and they believe their 6 way would work on my Rayco

If anyone out there is looking to sell their 6 way from a timberwolf, please contact me

If anyone in the milwaukee / fond du lac area has a timberwolf 6 way that will let me try it out, that would be great

Thanks

Scott

Hello everyone - I searched craigslist and found a Timberwolf 6 way wedge for sale 20mins from my work! Instead of dragging my rayco to work then to the seller of the wedge's house, I decided to simply take my 4 way rayco wedge and glad I did. The timberwolf wedge is significantly smaller - not compatible like the TW salesman at the corporate head quarters told me. The size of his fixed triangle on the machine must be 5" long whereas the rayco is almost 8.5". Funny when I opened up my trunk, the seller was amazed at how heavy and beefy the rayco 4 way was. He was nice enough to allow me to take a bunch of pictures of his wedge and I give him credit for trying to convince me to by his and hack it up to get it to fit. I think I will simply have to make my own 6 way wedge. There is a guy on ebay that does sell the wings fairly reasonable - they are A36 which is OK mtl, not the greatest and the price reflects it. If anyone is looking for a TW 6 way wedge, go to craigslist in Milwaukee.

Don't waste your time with the A36 and just get some AR400 and be done with it. Built once, be done and go split.

What's the best he would do on the 6 way? I'm not paying $600 for something that will sit most the time.

I called timberwolf and they believe their 6 way would work on my Rayco

If anyone out there is looking to sell their 6 way from a timberwolf, please contact me

If anyone in the milwaukee / fond du lac area has a timberwolf 6 way that will let me try it out, that would be great

Thanks

Scott

GM Grimmy - thanks for your comments. I agree with you and was concerned about this as well.
In the past, I have used a skid loader blade from a local skid loader attachment company. They told me the material is Bucket Blades Material C1060 case hard, 3/4" thick by 6" .

What are your thoughts on this material vs the AR400? The material is reasonable cost and more importantly, readily available since it is local and comes with a taper on one edge.
The Skid loader blade comes with a tapered edge by not sharp - I think I would have to just mill the first 1/4" to get a sharp edge on the blade.

I do know that this needs to be heated prior to MIG welding.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

I am not one to ask one type of metal vs another. My splitter has AR400 on it and I just know it's pretty hard stuff. The guy that built it was telling me about it. He spent some time milling the main wedge and 4 and 6 way cutting edges I know.

Well i finally finished the 6 way for my rayco - i ran a large ash thru it and seems to work good. Thinking about adding another horizontal edge high but for now i need to clean up a bunch of cut pieces. I will try to post a picture below. I will likeky be selling the rayco 4 way wedge

Attachments

• IMG_4046.JPG
    IMG_4046.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
Thanks to the membersout there that helped me with my questions! I appreciate your time you gave me

Now off to make some sweet heat! Can't wait to split wood and fill up my bins

Latest posts

Back