~60cc shootout 962 Efco vs 361 Stihl vs 036 Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will look over the videos and see if there is much difference in the averages. Though I tend to not use the averages much for cut times. The 361 actually missed a couple times in one cut, hit a little inclusion in the wood in a couple other cuts with the 036, bogged the 361 on the first couple cuts with times over 4 seconds and that stuff would throw the results off. With that sort of stuff I am finding it better to pick the best time out of a series of cuts.

No doubt the 361 would fall further behind in bigger or harder wood, heavy hands or more aggressive chain.

Subscribing.

Its going to be interesting to see what you come up with on the 361. If the saw is already prone to bogging with hard wood, aggressive chain or a heavy hand, then it will likely require a different approach to porting than the other two. That information may be of interest to many of the wood cutters (versus cookie cutting racers).

Yes, each saw is very different design wise and the goals a little different too.

On the 361 I have seen a couple different castings, one is higher compression with lower exhaust port the other lower compression with higher exhaust, each need to be ported differently. 066/660 is much the same deal, the older cylinders could stand a little more exhaust durration, but on the new cylinders raising the exhaust will kill them both for torque and compression.

036 needs to be built for torque and tough for production cutting. 962 would do well to gain some RPM for smaller softer wood and can be made pretty hot performance wise. 361 will depend on which jug it has, but it can be made fairly hot too, but might get subject to hotter weather and more questionable fuel.

I have MS360Pro that I ported several years ago and it is my favorite among my few saws, I never have ran a 361 but it seems I am not missing alot. Interested and subscribed to this thread, cant wait to see further progress and the end results!

Yep that 359 is still my goto saw. Might have a little air leak to fix on it as I never did replace that plastic intake boot clamp.

Actually, I was kind of thinking the intake was fairly short and direct, at least compared to the 361. Also the intake has quite a bit of axiial angle which should be good for high RPM power.

175693d1299801791-962-carb-1-jpg

175694d1299801805-962-carb-2-jpg

Last edited:
361 intake is quite restrictive, a good bit smaller than the diamiter of a penny at the intake flange.

175695d1299802327-361-intake-boot-jpg

Just finnishing up the 036, shaved the base down 0.037 and piston poped up 0.025 aiming to have the squish between 0.018 and 0.020 in.

Couple pics as I was working along at it, port timing kept low with the goal of keeping lots of torque.

Also took the venturi out about 1.5mm and cleaned up a few rough edges.

Will video it tomorrow.

cant wait to see the vid.just ported my first saw week my 036pro and am satisfied(for now)maybe a pop up next?thank you for posting stuff like this, it helps me as a beginner learn more..thanx

036 is one of my fav stihl saws... I actually like the older 36's for power over the 36 pro.. Filtration and other things are much nicer on the pro models tho..

Back