61 to 272 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm putting a 272 top end & carb onto a grey top 61.

How necessary do those that have done this conversion feel that putting on the 268/272 air filter is? Does the stock 61 filter provide enough air ? This is a super clean saw and it would be nice to keep the original top cover.

Also, FYI, this saw is going to remain mechanically stock other than a base gasket delete (if possible, I haven't measured yet). And maybe a muffler mod down the road.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan

I cant speak to the air filter question as I run a velocity stack on mine with a small cone style oiled air filter. I also took my first every shot a porting when I did the 61/272 conversion(just widened the ports and cleaned/smoothed them out) and my 61 already had a muffler mod. It is a whole new saw now. All my friends I firewood with know now but before they knew about the work I did to convert it they could not understand how it was all of a sudden cutting so much better. It really is a whole new animal now. Anyone I know that has a 61 I would highly recommend doing the conversion.

The carb of a gray top likely is small for the 272xp top end, regardless if the intake fits. As far as I know, the carb of the 61s didn't get upgraded until the orange tops appeared in the early 1990s.

I am just finishing a 268 and had a low rise top cover. I am going to try a 61 intake with short air filter.

As rattler said your major issue will be top cover if you use a 272 air filter.

Yep, I have 268/272 top covers on hand if needed. I'm just curious to find out what folks who have done the conversion think regarding the necessity of a higher-flow air filter.

Yep, I have 268/272 top covers on hand if needed. I'm just curious to find out what folks who have done the conversion think regarding the necessity of a higher-flow air filter.

Those top covers may not fit on the case of a gray top 61 case?

I used my stock 625 jonsered carb on mine. Hs237a. Stock small air filter. Your grey top version makes for a popular conversion because it's a bit taller than the white top. It's the plug angle of the 272xp standing more vertical which creates the fitment issues. But it works on the 625 and the Grey top 61 as well. The new closed port jug really wakes it up

I'm putting a 272 top end & carb onto a grey top 61.

How necessary do those that have done this conversion feel that putting on the 268/272 air filter is? Does the stock 61 filter provide enough air ? This is a super clean saw and it would be nice to keep the original top cover.

Also, FYI, this saw is going to remain mechanically stock other than a base gasket delete (if possible, I haven't measured yet). And maybe a muffler mod down the road.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bryan
"I have a potty mouth"

Back