61 to 272 conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does that have the plastic pump washer with the clutch splines on it? If those splines aren't lined up, maybe that's the problem
Good call, I tore up one splined plastic pump washer even though everything mated together correctly.
Once I removed the metal washer under the plastic worm gear everything was ok, but I suspect that metal washer is there for a reason such as running defence for the seal. I'll pull it apart again and see if I can reinstall the metal washer.
Maybe all the clutches that these models shared had different tolerances.

Good call, I tore up one splined plastic pump washer even though everything mated together correctly.
Once I removed the metal washer under the plastic worm gear everything was ok, but I suspect that metal washer is there for a reason such as running defence for the seal. I'll pull it apart again and see if I can reinstall the metal washer.
Maybe all the clutches that these models shared had different tolerances.
When I put mine together, I put the plastic piece on the clutch drum first to make sure it was lined up. Mine was boogered up and didn't fit perfectly over the splines. Not sure if it's supposed to slide on or not.

before this thread disappears into oblivion, just a question, has anyone tried bolting the husqvarna 272 tilitson hs260a carb, to the 61 cylinder? you'd still have the small displacement and open transfer ports but a larger venturi might give it a few more much needed huevos.

before this thread disappears into oblivion, just a question, has anyone tried bolting the husqvarna 272 tilitson hs260a carb, to the 61 cylinder? you'd still have the small displacement and open transfer ports but a larger venturi might give it a few more much needed huevos.
Google says it fits. At least as a replacement. Tillotson has a page that has all the specs including venturi sizes

I used my stock 625 jonsered carb on mine. Hs237a. Stock small air filter. Your grey top version makes for a popular conversion because it's a bit taller than the white top. It's the plug angle of the 272xp standing more vertical which creates the fitment issues. But it works on the 625 and the Grey top 61 as well. The new closed port jug really wakes it up
Older thread but oh well hahah,
I’ve actually been told my 1985 white top can fit a 272 top end under it! I think it was only earlier year white tops that wouldn’t fit the bigger P/c because of the height of the cover and angle of the area the spark plug fits in, I am leaving this saw stock but I have another I am converting To 272! That one’s a 1986 which should have a grey top, but it came with a 266xp orange top on it for some reason
4F501EFD-9397-4140-BA41-5245CDE4744A.jpeg

Older thread but oh well hahah,
I’ve actually been told my 1985 white top can fit a 272 top end under it! I think it was only earlier year white tops that wouldn’t fit the bigger P/c because of the height of the cover and angle of the area the spark plug fits in, I am leaving this saw stock but I have another I am converting To 272! That one’s a 1986 which should have a grey top, but it came with a 266xp orange top on it for some reason
Interestingly I have only seen that cover on an 84 before. Would be interesting to see the date stamps in it and see when it was made.
There was a change in the 266 cover(and likely the matching but different colour) 61 cover with the location of the divider between the cylinder and plug. Not all 266 covers clear a 272 top end, I will have to dig through my notes I know 85+ is for sure good, but I believe the change was mid 84.

Interestingly I have only seen that cover on an 84 before. Would be interesting to see the date stamps in it and see when it was made.
There was a change in the 266 cover(and likely the matching but different colour) 61 cover with the location of the divider between the cylinder and plug. Not all 266 covers clear a 272 top end, I will have to dig through my notes I know 85+ is for sure good, but I believe the change was mid 84.

This is the serial number so it’s for sure an 85, but I will have to check tomorrow and update you on the date stamp in the top cover! A9AEB209-EF7C-466A-8A91-6950026C40CB.jpeg

Also! This orange top is the 266xp top cover that came on the 86 61 I picked up, supposed to be a grey top that year, but if I’m not mistaken my white and orange tops and have the exact same profiles everywhere.
The orange top 61 is my donor for my 272xp conversion!
DFF45230-E10E-408A-9528-90AB5E274749.jpeg

Also! This orange top is the 266xp top cover that came on the 86 61 I picked up, supposed to be a grey top that year, but if I’m not mistaken my white and orange tops and have the exact same profiles everywhere.
The orange top 61 is my donor for my 272xp conversion!
View attachment 1088492
Look at the top of the raised area for the plug, the 266 cover you have is early style cover without the flat section that wont clear a 272. You will find that the divider inside sits closer to the jug too.

Look at the top of the raised area for the plug, the 266 cover you have is early style cover without the flat section that wont clear a 272. You will find that the divider inside sits closer to the jug too.
I just went and looked, the two top covers are actually identical everywhere except for the spark plug space yep! Also the white top cover is date stamped 85! No date on the orange tops stamp E5A18D00-D08E-468E-9C3A-1853771F3412.jpeg7B2F6C31-3A1B-475F-9CED-6FA646A8E617.jpegC1294BDA-F2FC-4906-96C9-33F9696A275C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back