660 and 441 (user) recommended bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemiMoparGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I find it quite odd that the Stihl website recommends a 25" bar for a 441 and only a 20" for 660. Now as I understand it, the range of bars suggested, it wouldn't be the best idea to have it as an only bar as it takes more power to pull it, even if cutting significantly smaller wood. So I'm trying to find out (without fishing through thousands of posts...I searched but nothing stuck out in thread titles) what you guys would run on a regular basis on a 660 and a 441 such that the saws will compliment each other well. Any help is greatly appreciated...Thank you in advance.

i run a 460 with a 24-28'' all the time and a 066 with 28-32'' all the time in southern hardwoods

MS 660 42"
MS 460 36"
MS 441 32"
MS 440 28"
MS 362 24"
MS 261 20"

This my own take on the bar length issue :cheers:

MS 660 42"
MS 460 36"
MS 441 32"
MS 440 28"
MS 362 24"
MS 261 20"

This my own take on the bar length issue :cheers:

Are these your recommended max lengths, or suggested lengths to run on a very regular basis, or both? I only ask cuz some even exceed the max from Stihl, not that I am putting a lot of value on what they say, as they have to cover for lawsuits and such...Just doesn't seem that it'd run good with something higher than Stihl would recommend...but, I am wanting to learn and find out, which is why I am asking you guys with a lot more experience.

Thanks for the detailed reply none-the-less though

I would probably run a 24" on the 441 and a 30-32" on the 660. Stihl makes a 30" es bar, cannon makes one and oregon makes a 30" rw bar. I don't think there's really enough difference in a 24" and 28". A 660 can run a 41" pretty good but it's real nose heavy and I would only run that long a bar when it's really needed.

A 660 can run a 41" pretty good but it's real nose heavy and I would only run that long a bar when it's really needed.

Good advice, but I'd only run the 660 when "really" needed...So I guess it'd be mostly ideal to have at least close to the max bar on the 660, and and average bar on the 441

Are these your recommended max lengths, or suggested lengths to run on a very regular basis, or both? I only ask cuz some even exceed the max from Stihl, not that I am putting a lot of value on what they say, as they have to cover for lawsuits and such...Just doesn't seem that it'd run good with something higher than Stihl would recommend...but, I am wanting to learn and find out, which is why I am asking you guys with a lot more experience.

Thanks for the detailed reply none-the-less though

These are from my own experiences and some of it based on friends who use saws .

After owning the 90cc saws I find the 70cc saws setting an awful lot. I think for the most part a 90cc saw will cut more wood in the same amount of time with less effort for the operator when wood gets over about 25" hardwood. I've never ran a 441 but i've owned 4 440s and 3 460s and 2 660s. The 660s don't seem that much heavier than a 460 or 441.

One option a tree cutter I know uses is the 3 bar length set up. He runs a MS 360 and MS 460. He uses 24" on MS 360,32" on the MS 460, he all so carries a 42 " cheapo bar for the MS 460 for the rare over sized logs.

:laugh:

One option a tree cutter I know uses is the 3 bar length set up. He runs a MS 360 and MS 460. He uses 24" on MS 360,32" on the MS 460, he all so carries a 42 " cheapo bar for the MS 460 for the rare over sized logs.

:laugh:

A 42" "cheapo" bar? Didn't know there was any such thing. What brand?

And how well does that 460 pull a 42" bar?

And how well does that 460 pull a 42" bar?
I bet it pulls it through the atmosphere just fine. Wood? Not so much. lol

I like a 20-24 on a 70cc saw and a 28-36 on a 90cc saw. My 460 and 372 wear 24in. bars most of the time and the 660 runs a 32 most of the time. Rarely a 36. In mixed woods but mostly hard wood.

Cheapo is forester brand. It pulls fine with full skip and a light hand. I tried it after I set up the chain correctly, it was kinda rough cutting off the reel. Dropped the riders a ever so slightly and it cuts a lot better. The 42" is not really fast but it can be used. I found that if I dawg her to much the saw would almost quit runnin. His saw needs some woods mods done, he thinks a stock saw it is just perfect:msp_laugh: He was scared the only time he ran my 460 with a freshly sharpened 36" chain on her, he said it was to dangerous of a saw for tree cutting, he kinda went white seeing the bar go through the log so fast :givebeer:

I have a 25" bar on the 441 and a 32" bar on the 066, both seem to be a perfect match for each saw and what I use them for.

28" and over the new Stihl Lite bars are all I'll use. Just got another one, what a difference in handling. 441/460 and the 28" lite bar is perfect for what I need.

Back