660 and 441 (user) recommended bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 460 wears a 25" bar, I know it would run a 28" with no problem in the oak and hickory we cut, but we usually don't have the size of wood that needs that size of bar. I would not run a 32" on the 460 in the wood we cut, mainly seasoned hardwoods. My 660 also normally runs a 25", we have a 32 for it, but it sees very little use.
I agree the length of bar will vary regionally and for sure with the species of wood being cut, in this area a 32" bar is a rarity, just no need for anything bigger.

A 30" bar is an odd size but balances out pretty good on a 660". Here lately with all the storm blowdowns a 24" won't let me get the root ball off the trunk. Back in the winter I used a 41" to get a root ball off with the 660.

Poorly I would suggest.

To the original post I am unsure where you are getting the bar length quotes from, but they are wrong. Standard kit for the 660 is 25 inch off the shelf and can be ordered with up to 36 inch. the 441 and 460 come standard with a 20 inch and maximum recommended bar length is 32 inch. Personally I have a 42 inch bar for my 660 and although it will pull it I would recommend staying with the 36 inch as a maximum and a 25 inch for the majority of the work you will do with it.

To want to run a 42 inch bar on a 441/460 is just plain silly!!! personally If you have a 660 you will not need a 441/460 size saw, and you will find the 660 is just as easy to use and quicker all round.

Chainsaw Comparison Chart - Chainsaws specifications | STIHL

It says 441 16"-32" recommended 25"
It says 660 16"-36" recommended 20" and for that matter, it is odd that it says 880 17"-59" recommended 21" It just doesn't make sense to me why they would recommend shorter bars on more powerful saws than the lesser saws

To the op if you plan on sticking with all Stihl pro saw bar mounts here is another idea. Have these bar sizes on hand, 20", 28" and 36". This way you can play with them on any of the saws other then sub 60 cc saw. You can learn alot more about how a saw balances by trying the bar in use then by just being told how it should feel. Had people tell me a 044 was too imbalanced with a 32", well i found it was fine after running it for 6 months falling timber in a steep canyon.

OP. If you happen upon a local tree service ask those guys what they are running, or would prefer to run on those saws. They will know what is best for your conditions.

I use a 30" on a MS660 with full comp chain and only use that saw when I need the longer bar. (like today) Otherwise I use a 20" on a 60cc saw.

I have a 36 for the 660 put run a 25 on it and surprisingly have a 28 on a solo 681. The stihl runs well with that and my other cutter has a 36 on his 660 so we work well together. I'll run the 660 for most butts and swap out to a smaller saw. If need be either other will be in place or the solo will get ran. Get what you need and you will be gtg.

Chainsaw Comparison Chart - Chainsaws specifications | STIHL

It says 441 16"-32" recommended 25"
It says 660 16"-36" recommended 20" and for that matter, it is odd that it says 880 17"-59" recommended 21" It just doesn't make sense to me why they would recommend shorter bars on more powerful saws than the lesser saws

That must be a TYPO in the stihl listing thing either that or the guy writing it up took another hit from the bong when he got to the pro saw listings. The ms650 and ms660 are basically the same saws but the 650 is 6cc smaller, no longer sold to my knowledge (In australia anyway), and they recommend the 25 for the 650. Here in oz the pro forestry range starts with the ms362, not the 261, nothing under 3.4 kw makes it in. There is however some distinction made about the 260 being a more pro oriented saw than the others in its size range. I know in all of the listings I have read in australia the 441 recommended bar is 20 inch the 660 is 25.

I use a 30" on a MS660 with full comp chain and only use that saw when I need the longer bar. (like today) Otherwise I use a 20" on a 60cc saw.

Good plan 60/90cc! see all you guys who think the 50 70 is the go there are a lot of us 60 90 guys out there. we just don't make that big a deal of it.

Latest posts

Back