661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 421383Stihl HP Ultra is JASO-FB. The lowest certification on JASO ratings.
Has the JASO rating on the back of the bottle.
Not quite true. FC and FD do not represent increased lubricity, so it's not fair to say that FC and FD are actually "higher".

JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – improved requirements over FA with regards to lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher requirements over FB with regards to detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FD - same as FC, except with far higher detergency requirement.

Not quite true. FC and FD do not represent increased lubricity, so it's not fair to say that FC and FD are actually "higher".

JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB – improved requirements over FA with regards to lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher requirements over FB with regards to detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

Cleanliness is very important. If lubricity were the only issue we would all be running castor oil at 16:1.

Honestly, I take dozens of saws a month apart that only run Stihl Ultra. I can't imagine an oil burning much cleaner. It stinks, but I've never heard anyone complaining of how clean Ultra is.

BTW, it says "meets JASO FB" it doesn't show that it actually has been tested. The only Stihl oil that I know has been tested was Stihl Super as of April 1 2015.. and it scored FD.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

What exactly is exhaust system blocking requirements referring to?

JASO-FA has been eliminated. Only FB - FD are current standards. True, FB - FD meets the minimum lubricity standard but not in detergency which represents engine "cleanliness" and evaluates piston ring sticking. To meet the Detergency tests for FB and FC it's a one hour test. To meet FD, it's a 3 hour test. Why use a "dirtier" oil in an expensive pro model saw......especially a ported one. Let's compare prices of the Stihl HP Ultra oil (JASO-FB) and the oil I'm using Motul 800 off-road (exceeds JASO-FD). Cheapest price I saw on Amazon this morning for a 6-pack of 2.6oz Stihl HP Ultra was $14. One liter of Motul was $16. That would equal over $30 a liter for Stihl oil! That's nearly double the price for a lower JASO certified oil.

JASO-FA has been eliminated. Only FB - FD are current standards. True, FB - FD meets the minimum lubricity standard but not in detergency which represents engine "cleanliness" and evaluates piston ring sticking. To meet the Detergency tests for FB and FC it's a one hour test. To meet FD, it's a 3 hour test. Why use a "dirtier" oil in an expensive pro model saw......especially a ported one. Let's compare prices of the Stihl HP Ultra oil (JASO-FB) and the oil I'm using Motul 800 off-road (exceeds JASO-FD). Cheapest price I saw on Amazon this morning for a 6-pack of 2.6oz Stihl HP Ultra was $14. One liter of Motul was $16. That would equal over $30 a liter for Stihl oil! That's nearly double the price for a lower JASO certified oil.
OEM oil is definatly a profit center for the major OPE companies.

Brad, I see you can still by Mobil 2R on ebay shipped from the UK. That's the ultimate!

Is this NOS, or is it still in production overseas? I'd like to try it but if the supply is close to exhaustion I'll have to find something else anyway.

Latest posts

Back