661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll bite I can't believe this is still going! haha ....
I can throw a spanner in the works got a few 066/660 actual work saws some pushing well over 10+ years and never had the barrels pulled to check how clean the top of the piston is or how much oil is in the bottom end?(only pull em down if they end up way down the line as a parts saw) even though some here seem to pull the barrel after 2 tanks of fuel saying all looks good or I'm not happy after 2 tanks? with whatever oil :wtf: haha...
Well the spanner is? we only use mineral based oil at bout 25:1! I know I know is crazy talk and most likely impossible!, now don't shoot the messenger but never have/seen a saw size or down on power running mineral oil at 25:1 more like up on power seeing a few youtube vids and bets me what the go is with that? ...But yeah mountains out of molehills is more like what is going on here!...
That is unless the only way you can tell your chain is dull is when you see dust? does anyone actually use that as an indicator of how dull a chain is? :dizzy: if true well in that case run the best synthetic oil you can and blame Obama when the piston still smears itself up and down the bore lol.......Just my 2c
View attachment 426261
U sir just shut down 223 pages of debate with that opinion! LOL!!!

why such short bars on that size of saw ?
Aussie Hardwood Its a time thing we don't have time to fart about, and use a tool that gets the job done asap.. I know it's hard to believe stock saw's and all but even in the small wood in the pic an Aussie 66o will out cut a 461 and a stock 880 with a 25in bar .404 RS 7 pin will out cut all of em....We only run Stihl from what I've seen guys that run husky here seem to like 390's 395's and the 3120 for the torque/ grunt they offer in Aussie hardwood... And yeah we use the dogs on a saw you would end up exhausted at the end of the day holding a saw back off the dogs trying to make it self feed even with a sharp chain you have to use some pressure to make it cut when you get into our hardwoods like Ironbark/Steelbox ect ect.......I can make a vid if ya like of a 660 with a sharp chain dogs in pulling up cutting doing as it should in some Red Ironbark then pull it back off the dogs and take any input pressure off on my behalf .it will just jump about in the cut going nowhere.....

It seems the motul guy forgot to answer your question on weather it is FD certified...

Redbull you asked what you should ask motul and i threw a question for to ask them, why didnt you ask them my question on metallics?

I also remember you discredited K2 from your testing pages back because of the PIBs it had in it and that it could cause glazing.... Yet now you say your looking forward to try it?
I am interested to see your thoughts on it though.

ok fired off some more ?s to Motul...

-----------------------------
Sir, couple more...

1) Is that because the lower viscosity of 710 having less film strength? ("Running the 710 at a ratio of 32:1 will not offer more protection than the 800 at 50:1.")

2) I know it says "above existing standards" but is 800 off road actually Jaso -FD certified? If not, why ?

3) Wouldn't checking your plug - just tell you if your tuning was incorrect?

4) I've heard that the metallics in 800 off road can lead to build up and would cause a great ignition source for pre-ignition. Have you heard of this happening? Could you talk about the metallics in 800 off road? No offense intended. It's hearsay I understand. I'm just concerned.

Thank you again for your time. Have a nice weekend.

Respectfully,
Redbull
------------------------------------------

Re: K2
because I asked Andrew about PIB...

me:
Could it be argued that K2 should be eliminated because of the PIB in it? ie..PIB can cause glazing after a while..

also,
What do you think of mounting a tach on the saw? What would I be looking for between the different oils and ratios?

Andrew:

No you can’t really eliminate an oil because of PIB. PIB is a good and useful additive if utilized properly.

If you are going wide open on the throttle, then you eliminate a variable there and you can compare top RPM’s with the open throttle between oils. There should be a difference even if it is only slight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys gotta give this guy more credit. He's extremely honest. Also don't write off the abundance of great info here (some of it is biased yes, SOME, but there is some really really good info) - http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...1-results-info-condensed.277566/#post-5305420

K2 Cont.

and moparmyway sent me some!

Oil needs to be exchanged. Viscosity may prevent failure, but the down side of lean mix ratios like 50:1 is the lack of oil exchange. Think of it like running your vehicle for a year without changing the oil. This terminology was used in the links I provide 100 pages back. If an oil can't be ran effectively at 32:1 it's not going in my equipment.

Asking sales reps questions about the product they sell is comical, much like this thread.

Its not. The guy is flat out wrong. And honestly your not going to get the best info from emailing a company.
Completley. I would also add that 90% of the people claiming to read plugs don't know how to do it right.

ok well just for the record - that is motul, amsoil, maxima saying plug reading as best way. Belray saying it's one point of many to look at and consider

Oil needs to be exchanged. Viscosity may prevent failure, but the down side of lean mix ratios like 50:1 is the lack of oil exchange. Think of it like running your vehicle for a year without changing the oil. This terminology was used in the links I provide 100 pages back. If an oil can't be ran effectively at 32:1 it's not going in my equipment.

Asking sales reps questions about the product they sell is comical, much like this thread.

yes all oil is equal blah blah blah. we shall see!

new list

2r
h1r
r50
800 off road
k2
dumonde tech

ok well just for the record - that is motul, amsoil, maxima saying plug reading as best way. Belray saying it's one point of many to look at and consider

yes all oil is equal blah blah blah. we shall see!

new list

2r
h1r
r50
800 off road
k2
dumonde tech
Your talking to marketers and they are flat out wrong...all of them.
Andy is spot on in regards to the oil exchange thing. High viscosity is no replacement for quantity and has quit a few down sides like burning dirty/ heavy deposits.

Your talking to marketers and they are flat out wrong...all of them.
Andy is spot on in regards to the oil exchange thing. High viscosity is no replacement for quantity and had quit a few down sides like burning dirty/ heavy deposits.
Again it comes down to knowing the +&- and determining what's best for you.

Plug reading is almost impossible in chainsaws. These salesmen are referring to bikes, karts and snowmobiles. Not chainsaws.

Latest posts

Back