661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been having a hard time getting a 4th gear plug chop reading with my saw ,this could be why .

Oil needs to be exchanged. ...the down side of lean mix ratios like 50:1 is the lack of oil exchange. Think of it like running your vehicle for a year without changing the oil.
OK... so wouldn't running a fuel with more oil than needed to accomplish this exchange be the same as changing the oil in your vehicle every 100 miles... or 50 miles??
Wouldn't that be horribly inefficient and wasteful??

For that matter... I thought one of the advantages of synthetic oil was you could go much longer between oil changes??
So, along that line, you shouldn't need to "exchange" the oil as rapidly in a 2-stroke, meaning a 50:1 synthetic should just the ticket (shrug)

OK... so wouldn't running a fuel with more oil than needed to accomplish this exchange be the same as changing the oil in your vehicle every 100 miles... or 50 miles??
Wouldn't that be horribly inefficient and wasteful??

For that matter... I thought one of the advantages of synthetic oil was you could go much longer between oil changes??
So, along that line, you shouldn't need to "exchange" the oil as rapidly in a 2-stroke, meaning a 50:1 synthetic should just the ticket (shrug)
For starters you can't compare a 4 cycle to a two cycle...

essentially you are, if you say you gotta run 32:1.
I prefer to run 32:1 and won't run an oil that can't be ran effectively at that ratio. You're free to run what you want.

The point of running synthetic oil has little to with extended change intervals, as you still have the same amount of contamination. Synthetic oils are more stable, and have a wider viscosity range. Thinner oils that maintain film strength also improves fuel economy.

I prefer to run 32:1 and won't run an oil that can't be ran effectively at that ratio. You're free to run what you want.

The point of running synthetic oil has little to with extended change intervals, as you still have the same amount of contamination. Synthetic oils are more stable, and have a wider viscosity range. Thinner oils that maintain film strength also improves fuel economy.
Any of these oils that won't run clean at 32:1 are not right for the application or are garbage.

And here in lies the fundamental differences between us...

You and bwalker say: "I prefer to run 32:1 and won't run an oil that can't be ran effectively at that ratio."

My stance is
: That simply doesn't make mathematical sense.

800 and H1R and R50 - given their make up of basically 85-90% ester + 10-15% additives
vs
say the likes of k2 & 2R - which have at least 10% solvent/carrier fluids which have NO lubricating properties at all !

You simply can not run both groups at the same ratio and expect the same performance.

k2 & 2r: 10% of the bottle...of what you pour into the gas IS NOT providing any lubrication at all.

BUT I am not saying there is a major difference in ratio given the 10%.

If you want to run 2r and k2 at 32:1 then the likes of 800 h1r r50 would be run at 36:1 to be apples to apples.

You and bwalker say: "I prefer to run 32:1 and won't run an oil that can't be ran effectively at that ratio."

My stance is

800 and H1R and R50 - given their make up of basically 85-90% ester + 10-15% additives
vs
say the likes of k2 & 2R - which have at least 10% solvent/carrier fluids which have NO lubricating properties at all !

You simply can not run both groups at the same ratio and expect the same performance.

k2 & 2r: 10% of the bottle...of what you pour into the gas IS NOT providing any lubrication at all.

If you want to run 2r and k2 at 32:1 then the likes of 800 h1r r50 would be run at 36:1 to be apples to apples.
Are these the following questions we're trying to conclude:
1) Which oil(s) have better lubricating qualities? Is this determined by observing the lower end bearings and/or top end?
2) Which oil(s) burn cleaner? Is this determined by observing, again, the low and top end?
3) Which oil(s) provide better performance in speed? Is this determined by comparing timed cuts with different oils at the same ratio?

1) The best answer I've read, and saw, to question #1 was from Mdavlee. He said both R50 and 800 off-road provided excellent lower end lubrication.

My stance is

vs

If an oil won't run good at 32:1, 36:1 won't matter.
And for the millionth time..forget about solvents! The worst thing that happened was you finding msds sheets...

Oh hell!!! 3 big glugs out of the bottle to 1 gallon of gas. Run it 10yrs and dont worry about what it looks like. If it craters part the saw out and buy another

My stance is

vs

Have you read any of the information in the links I've previously provided? It appears not.

If an oil won't run good at 32:1, 36:1 won't matter.
And for the millionth time..forget about solvents! The worst thing that happened was you finding msds sheets...

we shall see what makes a difference, if any! And with that I'm done here, until testing. There is no further point for me to say anything. I've emailed and called all the companies. I posted what they said. There is nothing more to do except test em.

well I will post what motul replies with. That is the last thing I'm waiting on.

Have a nice memorial day weekend.

edit - looking at my notes. Maxima guy Tim maybe? Said he only ran k2 in his own equipment and said that super M wouldn't offer as much protection as K2.

Back