661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm liking the Honda HP2 at the moment
On a previous note about 32:1 being smokey, yesterday it was about 70 degrees and I had the 7900 out and on a cold start it was actually normal. While running though after leaning the H out to 1 turn out, the saw was absolutely amazing!!!! It felt like it gained a little more pep in it's step, possibly it is breaking in after the piston replacement,

Might pull the cylinder after this bottle of HP2 is gone.

The smell is racey to me but it actually is better than K2 and K2 has little smell.

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

800 is good stuff !
I am torn between K2, 800, and R50 ...................... have some Mobil to run soon, but it looks like my field has only 3 players now being the Mobil is getting more and more difficult to source

I personally don't care for R50 because of it's limitations in the cold (but I'll still test it...never know!). Per klotz it's good down to about -15ish. While 800 is good down to -54...guys up in Canada run 800 a lot. (per Motul...no reason to doubt this claim though)

Not that I would cut wood in anything under say -20 that is about my own personal limitation lol But the above info certainly leads me to believe that r50 would be less of a performer in even the mild cold.

My concern with K2 is the PIB in it, being a health hazard. Why breathe the stuff, if 800 does the same thing and doesn't have PIB in it.

I personally don't care for R50 because of it's limitations in the cold (but I'll still test it...never know!). Per klotz it's good down to about -15ish. While 800 is good down to -54...guys up in Canada run 800 a lot. (per Motul...no reason to doubt this claim though)

Not that I would cut wood in anything under say -20 that is about my own personal limitation lol But the above info certainly leads me to believe that r50 would be less of a performer in even the mild cold.

My concern with K2 is the PIB in it, being a health hazard. Why breathe the stuff, if 800 does the same thing and doesn't have PIB in it.
800 has a stronger smell and can burn your eyes if there's not much wind.

800 has a stronger smell and can burn your eyes if there's not much wind.

The 800 off-road I've used, about 2 liters, I've never experienced odor issues. It actually smells great but I mix with 110 Sunoco racing fuel not regular gas.

took out the first cuts as they were what I do as warm up cuts.

Times

800 - 45:1
23.4 25.0 35.1

800 - 32:1
23.4 23.2 36.4

Considering the 404 RM chain doesn't seem to cut as nice/smooth/clean as the RS. I'd have to say for all intents and purposes those times are damn near equal. But I will say it was a HOT 93F out. I ran 32:1 the other day when it was cooler and it didn't seem as nice as it was today. So maybe 40:1 would be a nice happy medium.

here is 45:1 800 the other day when it was cooler out. Sounds better ?

In any case there is no huge drop off in times like with H1R. Unless not doing the "reset" wast he cause of the drop off.

I'd have to say given Mdavelee's milling success with 800 off road and given the high viscosity (probable extra protection...yes I know there is more to it then just that number), and given it's a similar formulation to stihl ultra (all ester and additive package with nothing else)...man if this stuff runs as fast as the other oils out there (dumonde, amsoil, r50, k2, R2, ultra, h1r and mobil 1 2xt) this would be my personal clear winner.

Good job. Thanks for the tests. I'm considering using 404 on my 660. What size Cannon bar is that?

The 800 off-road I've used, about 2 liters, I've never experienced odor issues. It actually smells great but I mix with 110 Sunoco racing fuel not regular gas.
I didn't notice it as bad bit my dad was on the opposite end of the 56" mill and said it was rough. We switched and it was pretty bad.

I didn't notice it as bad bit my dad was on the opposite end of the 56" mill and said it was rough. We switched and it was pretty bad.
Have you noticed any foul odors using R50, K2, or Yamalube? Was 800 one of the cleanest burning oils you've used?

I think all oils are not healthy to breathe in lol... like said I think at 32:1 the oils I've tried are sufficient in protection. As for smell it depends on the person I think?

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

Have you noticed any foul odors using R50, K2, or Yamalube? Was 800 one of the cleanest burning oils you've used?
Didn't get to try yamalube yet. R50 is a little strong with no breeze. K2 is probably the least offensive to me. This Mobil I didn't get enough run time yesterday to say if there's a smell or not. It had half a tank of VP and K2 left when I added pump gas and Mobil to top off.

So our conclusion so far is?

With proper tuning and a good sawyer 32:1 will improve power not diminish it, unless you're running H1R. Even then I'm not convinced the earlier results were conclusive to say the least.

I found K2 to have little odor, especially after warm up. Yamalube has little odor as well. Mobile 1 smells a bit like burning plastic at first, but that goes away when the engine gets warm.

Didn't get to try yamalube yet. R50 is a little strong with no breeze. K2 is probably the least offensive to me. This Mobil I didn't get enough run time yesterday to say if there's a smell or not. It had half a tank of VP and K2 left when I added pump gas and Mobil to top off.
I'm curious how K2 and Mobil will lube and look in the lower end compared to R50 and 800.

Does the h1r make all saws slower at 32:1, or is it just too thick for the Autotune to maximize results

Does the h1r make all saws slower at 32:1, or is it just too thick for the Autotune to maximize results
We don't have a clue what the real issue is there. I suspect a combination of a few things, not just the fact H1R has different combustion properties.

We simply cannot form any real conclusion from theses comparisons. Other than demonstrating they all provide adequate lubrication, we have learned little to nothing IMHO.

I still appreciate the effort, and find it intriguing, nonetheless.

I'm curious how K2 and Mobil will lube and look in the lower end compared to R50 and 800.
K2 is good on coating. The 390 I just tore apart earlier was covered wet on the inside. It was running klotz super. Last time I used it was ripping ash for cants. I'll try to get some run time or at least pull the muffler on something running mobil.

My Vietnam sidekick
combatsurvivalvietnam1.jpg

Latest posts

Back