661 or 395?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin4185

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this has been hashed out, but I am new to this forum and need some help.

We are looking at buying a 90cc saw for work on a wildlife management area in TN. We hear our shop and checking station with wood and my house that is on the WMA. We burn about 4 chords/year on a good year.

I can get a 661 on contract for pretty cheap! Not wanting to post it in case Stihl gets mad! I can get a 395xp from a good dealer with 24" bar for around $1100. It is about $150 more than the Stihl. The problem with contract equipment is you aren't dealing with a local dealer, therefore if you have a problem, the local dealer is t as likely to help you out since you did t buy from them. My local dealer is about an hour away and deals with both companies.

What are some recommendations for a big saw for us? I am currently wearing out my personal 440 on these bigger jobs!

I'm looking at getting a 90cc class saw, as well, but like HS said above, I don't mill or need crazy long bars (midwest), so my decision is actually between 390 vs 661.

Mike

The only thing that worries me is the Mtronic on the Stihl. If it had screws for adjustments, I would like it better! A 390 is also an option, dealer just didn't have one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The only thing that worries me is the Mtronic on the Stihl. If it had screws for adjustments, I would like it better! A 390 is also an option, dealer just didn't have one.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Valid concern. Our company's 661 worked great for six months and then didn't. Unknown mtronic issue. It's been at the dealer for a while. I'd probably prefer a 390xp with what I know now.

im a dealer here in east tn and have all the pro line up at a lower price than what you quoted. i would recommend the 390xp for what you are doing.

I saw your website. Are you based in Wartburg? The problem I am running into know is skating the "contract"! I have almost decided on a Husky due to the Stihl having the "Smart Carb". A saw shouldn't have a mind of its own on a pro saw in my opinion. I may come by to talk to you about it or give you a call. I may also need some porting work on my 440! I used to work up that way but now I am about 1 1/2 hours away. Do you do a lot of work for the loggers up that way? Most of them around here run 461s. James Madison was always a husky fan! Maggards cutters run Stihls. I will give you a call.

im a dealer here in east tn and have all the pro line up at a lower price than what you quoted. i would recommend the 390xp for what you are doing.
I saw your website. Are you based in Wartburg? The problem I am running into know is skating the "contract"! I have almost decided on a Husky due to the Stihl having the "Smart Carb". A saw shouldn't have a mind of its own on a pro saw in my opinion. I may come by to talk to you about it or give you a call. I may also need some porting work on my 440! I used to work up that way but now I am about 1 1/2 hours away. Do you do a lot of work for the loggers up that way? Most of them around here run 461s. James Madison was always a husky fan! Maggards cutters run Stihls. I will give you a call.
Terry's a first class guy. Try one of his ported 390's and you'll never look back

i sell to about every legit outfit around here and they all run husqvarna 372 or 390 in the woods and 395 for landing saws

Latest posts

Back