661 vs 390/395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So it's happening. Some of my Husky guys are coming in having heard buzz about the new 661. I can't really tell them how they compare to the 390 or 395 because I have yet to run a 661. I don't want to lie to them but I don't want them running out and buying 661s either based on what their Stihl buddies are telling them! Anybody around here run both? Or better yet run them side by side?

I've been following the 661 closely so I'd like to hear what people say. I bought a tract of land next to the farm that I'm going to need something bigger than my 372 on a regular basis. I've been a lifelong Stihl guy but right now my saws are a 372 & 346. It's nice to see Stihl put out a saw that is competitive in weight, AV, & power to other pro models.

That being said, I can buy a 390xp from one of the sponsors here, send it Tn to be ported, and back at my house almost as cheap as I can walk out of a dealership with a 661.

husky have a few things that are gonna come out and surprise you all. the 661 intrigued me as well. i actually may have bought one if i didn't get to try one of the new husky's on the horizon. i ran the 661 my buddy who is a bullbucker has. IMO it is overrated here already just like the 044 and 346 just because it is the latest and greatest. even though it produces more usable power then a 660 is still feels similar to a 660 which is why i never liked the 660 in the first place. i would be a stihl guy if the stihls handled like husky's and the husky's handled like stihls. they all make good enough power for me so it's the handling and ergonomics i'm after. wait for the big autotune husky's to come out. i just really hope that the one i ran is the way all of them will be.........hesitationless :)

The 661 is a more expensive, stronger, made out of metal, 390. I'd love to own a stronger, "solider" 390, but unfortunately you have to pay for the upgrade.

What length bar is that Brad? I wonder if the 395 would pull away from the other two with a leaner tune and bigger wood. From what I've been reading, that's where it likes to be. The 390 seemed to be the quickest there just on casual observation (didn't actually compare the times). The only thing I've cut with my 395 is a couple 4x4s I needed shortening an hour ago. Was too far to walk in the rain to get the circular saw. LOL

That's a 32" bar with still RS chain. That particular 395 was tuned quite rich since it was a total rebuild. I recently sold my 395 to Stihlafiando, who also has the 661 shown above. He says the 395 is faster through big wood. If I could only have one, it would be my 390. It's an animal, and is definitely my favorite saw in this class. I prefer the 661 over the 395 because it's so much more refined, smaller, and lighter.

Latest posts

Back