661 vs 390/395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we're talking about stock saws then a 390 shouldn't be in this group.

All stock the 395 is strongest but not by much,it and the 661 are way ahead of a 390 and the 661 isn't much heavier if any at all.

Other thing I haven't seen in this thread is the fact the 661 includes bar the 395 doesn't when buying a new one.
I don't use stihl nor (husqvarna )Oregon bars on my big saws.
Love the Yellow stihl chains tho.

since this thread i have owned a 661. while a decent saw it is way overrated by many already. ran a ported one done by a local shop and i was impressed with it's torque but i will still take a 390 or a 395. look at threads by the "great ones (some think they are anyways)". there recommendations on tuning is sometimes below factory spec lol. i tune my ported 390's to 14,200 and 661's can't touch them. not to mention 661's blow up. i heard the 390 should not even be in this comparison and that is kinda true not because of it's performance but because it is lesser cc's. the 661 is closer to a 395 in comparison and while i prefer the 661 for handling and weight it can't touch a 395 stock or ported. when it comes to AV husky have the springs down. so smooth yet don't feel like total mush. the 661 was an absolute failure by stihl. just handling the saw while not running you can hear the springs creak like they are stressed right out doing their job. mushy like a soggy noodle. i'm a cutter who just wants the best saw for me. i realize it is hugely dependant on preference but my opinion is that cookie cutters don't have a solid opinion. they base it on what the saw feels like in a couple cuts and not a full day of work. also a little bit of what their daddy taught them lol. anybody who tests a 90cc saw with a 24" bar is automatically not gonna be taken seriously by me and many others anyways.

4e95ea1f131c8caaeecd0487714f142a.jpg

3 dead 661's, 1 dead 461, and 3 dead 660's in that pic. that's just one pic too lol in that camp there were like 10-15 dead stihls. no dead huskies. actually couldn't believe it lol

since this thread i have owned a 661. while a decent saw it is way overrated by many already. ran a ported one done by a local shop and i was impressed with it's torque but i will still take a 390 or a 395. look at threads by the "great ones (some think they are anyways)". there recommendations on tuning is sometimes below factory spec lol. i tune my ported 390's to 14,200 and 661's can't touch them. not to mention 661's blow up. i heard the 390 should not even be in this comparison and that is kinda true not because of it's performance but because it is lesser cc's. the 661 is closer to a 395 in comparison and while i prefer the 661 for handling and weight it can't touch a 395 stock or ported. when it comes to AV husky have the springs down. so smooth yet don't feel like total mush. the 661 was an absolute failure by stihl. just handling the saw while not running you can hear the springs creak like they are stressed right out doing their job. mushy like a soggy noodle. i'm a cutter who just wants the best saw for me. i realize it is hugely dependant on preference but my opinion is that cookie cutters don't have a solid opinion. they base it on what the saw feels like in a couple cuts and not a full day of work. also a little bit of what their daddy taught them lol. anybody who tests a 90cc saw with a 24" bar is automatically not gonna be taken seriously by me and many others anyways.

When the new 572 and 590 Autotune come out Stihl might as well close it's doors.

When the new 572 and 590 Autotune come out Stihl might as well close it's doors.

Lol, I wouldn't go that far. Stihl make some good saws. I don't like the spring AV on them and a lot of the newer models are ******** the bed early but I think they will eventually be reliable. I sure hope they improve that spring AV though even if I'm done giving them chances. Mostly for my stihl running brothers ya know [emoji6]

I may have missed this in the fifty some posts, so forgive me if this has been answered.

Does the 395 or 661 have a greater oiler output in stock configuration?

I am looking to replace my current milling saw. I know some of the issue is actually getting the oil to the cutting side of the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have missed this in the fifty some posts, so forgive me if this has been answered.

Does the 395 or 661 have a greater oiler output in stock configuration?

I am looking to replace my current milling saw. I know some of the issue is actually getting the oil to the cutting side of the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've never ran a 661 enough to get a good feel of it's oiling capabilities. you might try an auxilery oiler though?

395 oils more than a 661 but the 661 oiler is easily made to oil more.

A 395 is a better mill saw for a few reasons,the airfilter being one of them

Lol, I wouldn't go that far. Stihl make some good saws. I don't like the spring AV on them and a lot of the newer models are ******** the bed early but I think they will eventually be reliable. I sure hope they improve that spring AV though even if I'm done giving them chances. Mostly for my stihl running brothers ya know [emoji6]

Yep I was just being funny. If I couldn't buy husqvarna I would be running Dolmars or Solo if they were available. Just saying.

Yep I was just being funny. If I couldn't buy husqvarna I would be running Dolmars or Solo if they were available. Just saying.

if i couldn't buy husqvarna i'd be running stihl lol ;) dolmar only have one model i have any interest in and solo never has and i doubt ever will be a part of the market here.

I had my the shop I bought it at tune the high just a little more richer.
Just to be on the safe side.
I blew my first 395 because I didn't set the high rich.
So be aware guys.
The stihl 661 glue a horse shoe on it and hang a rabid foot on the handle.

I port mainly 90cc saws and use a 24" most of the time to try them out,why does the bar need to be longer to be taken seriously?
Will a strong 90cc be faster with a 24" than a common 90cc with a 24"

Put a couple tanks a day through your 90cc in the same location and do that for several years and see what kind of wood you have left to cut.

Back