661 vs 390/395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bucking oaks all day almost everyday.
I have never cut a cookie ever in my life.
My chains looks like they fell into a volcano at the end of the day.
I have learned that there is no place for brands.
At the end its all about getting the job done and productivity.
The weight difference you get used to it.
It's a little heavier but being that it cuts faster I think that's what sold me to the husky

I'm about buy a new saw to replace my 056 which is dying a slow death. I was all set to buy the 661, but then I learned that it has a onboard computer to adjust the carb(dont recall what their trade name is for that technology). I understand the benefits of this addition but Im skeptical about it's long term durability and i dont like being tied down to proprietary parts like that. So i have been looking at the 395 now, but no dealers around me(or a few mailorder places) seem to have them in stock.

Am I the only person who hears about a computer in my chainsaw and thinks thats a negative??

Chris

I'm about buy a new saw to replace my 056 which is dying a slow death. I was all set to buy the 661, but then I learned that it has a onboard computer to adjust the carb(dont recall what their trade name is for that technology). I understand the benefits of this addition but Im skeptical about it's long term durability and i dont like being tied down to proprietary parts like that. So i have been looking at the 395 now, but no dealers around me(or a few mailorder places) seem to have them in stock.

Am I the only person who hears about a computer in my chainsaw and thinks thats a negative??

Chris
You are not the only one who is skeptical of electronic carb control. They work great as long as they work, however it would appear that you keep a,saw for a long time. In 10 years will there be dealer support for these electronics or will you have to keep buying new equipment just to keep it serviceable. That's ok for the guy who replaces these machines in under the supported time period, but what about those that don't. The electronics Stihl uses,are referred to as "Mtronic" which like electrically controlled cabs of the 80's was an evolutionary stop gap measure toward fuel injection. If this technology follows that route, support will be lacking long term. I have a 395 and doubt you'd be dissapointed, but then I'm partial to "0" series Stihl and "3" series Huskys.

I just bought a 395XP new, (PHO). Going to run my Turbosawmills M6 mill with it. I was persuaded to the 395 over the 3120, more parts availability and overall better service in the long run. I had a dual port muff put on to wake it up a bit. I will let you know how it does. I have never been a Stihl guy, just don't like how they feel when toting around the woods all day, not to mention the overpriced nature of the creamscicle brand.

I just bought a 395XP new, (PHO). Going to run my Turbosawmills M6 mill with it. I was persuaded to the 395 over the 3120, more parts availability and overall better service in the long run. I had a dual port muff put on to wake it up a bit. I will let you know how it does. I have never been a Stihl guy, just don't like how they feel when toting around the woods all day, not to mention the overpriced nature of the creamscicle brand.
Did they remove the limiters on the carb needles? You will want to run it rich on a mill.

tree monkey'd 661 - WOT tacs at 13,840 rpm (mtronic). running 28" 8 pin , .404 RS full comp in frozen maple. (4701A coil)

tree monkey'd 661 - WOT tacs at 13,840 rpm (mtronic). running 28" 8 pin , .404 RS full comp in frozen maple. (4701A coil)

Redbull ... If wouldn't mind ... (Is that a painted/ brushed elbow and handle ) ? I'm ordering one.

Did they remove the limiters on the carb needles? You will want to run it rich on a mill.
Heck yeah
Trust me you need to run 395 little rich in the highs regardless.
I paid dearly for not doing it to my first 395.

husky have a few things that are gonna come out and surprise you all. the 661 intrigued me as well. i actually may have bought one if i didn't get to try one of the new husky's on the horizon. i ran the 661 my buddy who is a bullbucker has. IMO it is overrated here already just like the 044 and 346 just because it is the latest and greatest. even though it produces more usable power then a 660 is still feels similar to a 660 which is why i never liked the 660 in the first place. i would be a stihl guy if the stihls handled like husky's and the husky's handled like stihls. they all make good enough power for me so it's the handling and ergonomics i'm after. wait for the big autotune husky's to come out. i just really hope that the one i ran is the way all of them will be.........hesitationless :)

Ok you posted this over two years ago...what is husky waiting on? You seemed to have the insight and I am just wondering where their 90-100cc autotune is. Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean no disrespect.

Ok you posted this over two years ago...what is husky waiting on? You seemed to have the insight and I am just wondering where their 90-100cc autotune is. Please don't take this the wrong way because I mean no disrespect.

where did i say i have the insight? lol all i said is i ran one and it was a nice saw. i believe i also said the one i ran was all orange and had a true full wrap rather then the 3/4 wrap like on the 562. it's just a large 562. everything about the appearance looks the same but scaled up and no silver. i bet the production saws will have silver though. all i know is what i gathered running it and what else i have heard on this site. i'm no dealer so i have no idea about dates and every dealer you walk into and ask has a different answer. a member messaged me last week and said there is a thread on another forum about it but i haven't looked yet.

Back