661R vs 660R 36" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both looking good. My question is how much smoother is the 661, and is it oiling ok?

Both looking good. My question is how much smoother is the 661, and is it oiling ok?

Smooth - it does seem smoother. How much? I guess I haven't really evaluated it yet.
Oiling - seems to oil just fine.

Nice. The 661 also doesn't have that 660 "whistle"

yeah that muff mod on the 660 was the best one when I tested like 5 or 6 different combos. Curious to see how the 661 takes to a muffler mod. (I ordered an extra muffler for it and will get to it...now I want to get to it a lot faster. lol )

Thanks for taking the time to do these. I like seeing good heads up direct comparisons.

Remember guys, this is a modded saw vs a stock saw. The difference would be much more significant if the 660 muffler wasn't modded. The 661 will likely pick up with a modded muffler as well, but not as much as the 660. I really wish we could have seen a stock to stock comparison first. That would have been much more representative for a first impression. None the less, this has demonstrated how much stronger the 661 is. Even with a handicap, it still walked away from the 660.

I don't know why they make that sound. Stock or modded muffler seems to make no difference. Not a bad sound, almost like its got an overhead cam or 2

I'm goin' to have to see if my ported 064 makes that sound, I've never noticed it before. My muffler has all of the baffling removed, a spark arrestor screen still there, and the port and deflector opened up so much I can barely get it to idle and not have the clutch engage.

Ran two tanks through mine yesterday and even brand new, a 3 foot bar doesn't seem to slow it down much. VERY impressive saw out of the box. I like the older saws, but these new M Tronic saws are really something. Pick it up and pull it to start, no fumbling around with a lever or nothing. Talk about feeling lazy! Sure is fun to run em though.

Very nice! Is compression comparable between the two saws? Just wondering if compression averages a little higher on the 661.

Listened to both flicks, I heard no whistle or whine. Guess it is something that you have to be there. But could come from flywheel vane/housing design.

Back