7 vs 8 pin on 660 & 461 - 20" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
660 7 vs 8 pin...

20" bar 3/8 .063 tsumura light n tough bar

wood - Poplar (just cut down, so not dry)
7 pin stihl RSLH 16.2 16.4
8 pin stihlRSLH 17.5 18.9

I figured for sure the 8 pin would do better. Instead it seemed a bit more grabby.

wood - dry red oak
7 pin stihl RSLH - 9.9 9.9
8 pin stihl RSLH - 10.1 10.3

again I figured for sure the 8 pin would do better.

switching to stihl RS (rapid super full comp)

running 8pin first cuz it's already on saw
wood - poplar
8pin stihl RS - 18.9 wtf ! lol
7pin stihl RS - 16.7

not sure what to think?!?!?. if 7 pin is better than 8pin at 20" what is the point to go to try it on a longer bar?

461 7 vs 8 pin....

wood - oak
7pin RSLH - 13.4 13.2
8pin RSLH - 12.4 11.9

7pin RS - 10.6 10.6
8pin RS - 11.6 11.3

So interesting...

- RS faster than RSLH in both 7 and 8.

-but the 8pin was better with the RSLH. and 7 pin was better with RS.

Wood is also popular around here. Dang that half skip was like waiting for a none to fart.

Is popular tulip tree of the magnolia family?

We have real poplar around here I think it is white poplar.

Tulip tree, tulip poplar are magnolia family, Liriodendron Tulipifera

Poplar is Populus

1) I preferred 7 pin on my ported 460 also. The 8 pin may be good for cutting cookies, but for real work I prefer the torque, and I think it cut at least as fast.

2) The square file he is using is half skip. I use full comp, and find it to be faster than RS.

It makes sense that the skip chain preferred the 8 pin, and everything else liked the 7 pin better. That is in line with my "seat of the pants" impressions.

Thanks again for the testing info, always good to have.

IMO, other than for racing or competition, most of us R just better off sticking with 7 pin, and full comp on bars 24" or less.

Skip chain is beneficial on the longer bars for 2 reasons: 1) It reduces the load on the saw, and 2) it will clear the chips better in big wood.

Mike what all have you ran skip chain in ? Round or square ?

I've got a loop of square skip, and I've run it at the GTGs on other saws, and I've run round skip on MechanicMatt's saw. I think he now prefers the full comp square file just like I do.

Plus, I pay attention to what people like Brian say about it, as he has a lot more experience than me, and I'm sure it is different if U cut the big trees out West instead of smaller hardwoods we have here.

I also talk with my local tree guy, he often uses skip just to make sharpening easier. I also let him run a few of my saws got get his feedback, and I take it all into account.

And then I apply logic, and that I'm good at that.

That said, if U disagree with anything I said, I'd like to hear about it, always willing to learn.

Personally I think Rapid super (round ground) half skip/semi skip would be the bomb!

much smoother than full comp, faster than full comp (so far in my initial testing) ..makes sense too you have a righ and a left cutter taking a chip and then an open DL to clear the chip.

To me this makes more sense then full skip. you have a few more cutters to sharpen with half skip but quite a bit less than full comp.

WHYYYY stihl doesn't make it is beyond me!!!!!!!!!!

Back