797/125

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

056kid

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the differences between the super 797 and the sp125, I know that they obtaine the same CCage and also different means of carburation. But stuff like reeds, ports,timing etc. One would think that they could run like twins given there size but the 790s dont get the hype stat the old super pro recieves. I got a 795 a while back and fell in love with it. All i want now os the 125! But given that everyone else wants it too, i might have to settle for 2nd best.

What are the differences between the super 797 and the sp125, I know that they obtaine the same CCage and also different means of carburation. But stuff like reeds, ports,timing etc. One would think that they could run like twins given there size but the 790s dont get the hype stat the old super pro recieves. I got a 795 a while back and fell in love with it. All i want now os the 125! But given that everyone else wants it too, i might have to settle for 2nd best.
Nice post this is interesting to me wish I could provide some info! As I have a soft spot for them old Mac's I have a SP 105 and alway's thought it was second best To a 125 ?. But then any saw over a 100cc is a beast! But would also like to here from the Mac experts on here.

Hi Guys,
I am not the biggest Mac fan, but a big difference is the 797 is geardrive and the 125 is dirct drive. I think that the 797 is also the smaller 105 motor. I am sure the Mac fans will have the answers for you.

Jonathan

Hi Guys,
I am not the biggest Mac fan, but a big difference is the 797 is geardrive and the 125 is dirct drive. I think that the 797 is also the smaller 105 motor. I am sure the Mac fans will have the answers for you.

Jonathan

I'm anything but an expert, but I have never seen a gear driven 797. I always thought the 797 was 123cc, but I may be wrong there too.

The 797 was a right hand start direct drive .I don't really know with out looking at my Micro's what the diff is between the 797 and the cp or sp 125's is other than perhaps carboration.

The 105 is kind of a hydrid.Part is 125 and part is just 105.I have one and it's a powerfull old thing but I don't use it that often.According to the real Mac experts they didn't sell that many.Most likely because for a few bucks more you could step into a cp or sp 125,back in the day.

My 797 has a different set of castings for the gas tank, main body of the saw etc. than the CP125's. The 797 has its roots in the late 1950's and early 1960's with saws like the 87cc 1-71. Both the 797 and CP-125 are direct drive and both are 123 cc saws. As far as carberation, ignition, piston, and porting I don't know. I suspect there are differences as the 125 is a newer design. The 1-70 was the OLD 1950 era style ending around 1960 and the 1-71, I believe was one of, if not the first saw; in the same design class as the 797 that ran from 1959-1960 until around 1971. I also believe the 797 was the last of that line. The CP125 was the beginning of yet another style of castings.

The spec sheet shows the CP125 with a Tillotson HS-124-A or Walbro where the 797 has a "McCulloch" carb...so my bet is there are serveral differences scattered thru the "new" and "improved" CP-125 series of big monster saws.

Last edited:
Back