8 pin .325 on MS250?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a rebuild for my dad. Needed new piston and sprocket was worn. My dealer offers a 7 and 8 pin. He's got a 16" bar on it.

Is it a rim or a spur sprocket? If its a rim I would get it an try it and if doesn't work revert back to the seven

Do not attempt it. I ran an 8 pin on an 036 pro and that was pretty touchy. It was .325 chain as well.

I couldn't lean on it at all. 7 pin lets me lean hard if I want to. It was a 20" I did try the 8 pin in 18" wood.

025's are fairly snappy and strong with a 7 .325 but I think 8 would be more loss then gain.
I run 1 with 16" picco, I think its 7 t a bit larger then 7 325 but a lighter .050 gauge chain. Snappy and it cuts fast using the newish Stihl carbide PD3.

An eight pin .325 sprocket is very close to a seven pin 3/8 sprocket in diameter. lt should work ok but a 7 pin will better match the saws HP capability. Also there are more cutters on 325 which loads the saw more. lt all depends on how your chain is setup and the density of the wood you intend to cut. Best thing to do is give it ago and find out what works best but my bet is on the 7.

I am no Stihlhead , thus had to look for specs of the MS250.

45.4cc / 2.2kW / 3.0 HP - I would lean toward keeping it 7 pin and have spare torque.

Also , if it is Your dads saw he will be used to the feeling of the 7 tooth and might deem the saw weak with a 8 tooth.

As You said Yourself , if it were a rim sprocket system You could easily test it - but with a spur sprocket I wouldn't bother especially when the saw is not intended for my own use.

Latest posts

Back