$80 running Stihl 025 for fairly regular limbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creampuff

Reaction score
I am one of those FNG's to cutting, wood working, and here Who has decided to get into working mainly with ERC Because I think it is a beautiful wood, and of course I LOVE the smell of. I have some experience felling trees but certainly not a lot. Have dropped roughly 20 in my life time. Largest was about a 50-60' Pecan that had 3 large trunks split from the base about 3' off the ground all going in opposite directions about 6' from my mothers house. Was a little nerve racking to say the least since it was only the 4th tree I had cut lol, but all went well Lol. Anyway I have started cutting more trees to get my own wood to use. Just bought a Jonsered 2166 for the felling portion and am looking for a lighter saw for limbing because that dude gets heavy in a hurry. Found a Stihl 025 on CL for $80. Not sure the year it was made. Guy says it runs like a champ and will show whoever come to get it when they come. It's a little ways away from me so I am curious to know what you guys thoughts are on this saw for limbing trees being that it is a homeowner saw, older, and will be used a regular basis. Not 8 hours a day 5-7 days a week but 4-6 hours day 3-4 days a week on average. Good buy? Good limbing starter? Better to buy new since will be using quite a bit? Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Keith

My father in law has one that I ran quite a bit. I liked it. I'd buy it if he'd sell it for $80.

Definitely something I am interested in since he's asking $80, and as I am just starting and on a fairly tight budget. It's CL so can probably get it for $60-$70. Just the obvious concern of longevity being that it's an older model meant for the happy home owner vs the consummate professional. I am by no means a professional but that is the goal for sure and I know that it will get used a lot with the amount of limbs that are usually on ERC's.

Back