84 K10 Engine Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want a K20 with 14 bolt axles and the whole bit. I would do another L31 Vortec motor but keep the fuel injection...

11098253_1021936697818359_930997579119683426_n.jpg
fuel injection aint hard to do on em just take a 87 v10 sending unit instead of Installing a tbi fuel pump put a vortec pump inplace just runa returnto the tank. like the heavier axles but cant run the rally wheels bud. I have a 880 block that has a mechanical pump hole with a factory block off plate and no fuel pump eccentric on the cam. just picked this one up

when i build motors i use the oil gonna use when the motor is running as assembly lube i always liked these trucks and liked the original motors with the quadrajet carb and stock intake i had a edelbrock and noticed when on side of a hill it would load up on one side because the runners in the intake was not split off plus the quadrajet has bigger openings i built one motor deck shaved balanced crank assembly with flat top pistons gear to gear timing 202 cast iron heads crane truck / bus cam i got 5 miles to a gallon lol in a 81 single wheel one ton 400 turbo transmission and 373 gears wouldnt catch traction until mid 2nd gear sold the truck a couple years ago and want another one

I believe I made a mistake labeling there wires when I took them off... @ih361d, can you identify where these go? The three red wires in my left han ask go to one larger ring lug but I'm not sure if that goes to the starter or battery terminal (+). One of those three words from the room lug goes to the alternator plug, the other two go back to the main site harness and eventually to the fues panel. The light purple I believe goes to the small pole on the starter...

IMG_20151229_203235178.jpg

No I'm not sure how the starter is wired either... I can't find the positive cable from the battery... Not sure if I took it off and set it aside or if those are it... Phuk

they look to me like they hook on the same terminal as the battery cable and with the fusible links in them id almost say thats what they are for with the length

should also be a small round terminal for the switch side of the starter usually comes from the back side of the motor but that wiring looks like the supply from alternator to the starter to send juice to the battery its been about 8 years since i worked on one

The light purple wire in hand has a small ring lug for the starter small post... I'm not sure if those are fuseable links, they don't come apart. I believe they are factory connections.

on those they was a sealed unit should say 20 or 30 amp on them somewhere and i would say they are for the starter

Damn, I cant find any positive cable anywhere. I wonder what I did with it and where it connects (battery to what?).

Worst part is I took pics of the engine bay before I took everything all-day y but can't find them. They sure would come in handy!

there is not that many wires on the older chevy 350 motors the distributor has 2 wires usually in a a square mount one set of wires to the alternator in a plug and a single wire loop on the stud which you have wired up should be one small plug for the temp sensor and one for oil pressure sensor leaving the starter which has bigger wires which i am sure are the ones in your hands in the pics

look like the ones to the big stud on starter should be those plus your hot wire to the battery, then the other wire(purple) should be the switch wire to the solenoid. I can walk down the hill and look at one been a while, the ones with the fusible links trace up to a junction block on the firewall?

I found my answer and feel like a putz... The positive cable from the battery is black... I s looking for a red terminal lead.. :crazy2::angry:

80s_chevy_truck_battery_cables.jpg

I was wondering why I had a ground going to the starter (#2 in image under the engine) lol!

if you look at pic you can see writing under the tape im sure it will say 20 or 30 amp fusible link those are factory

The really good news is that I clipped the wires in my hand in the above pic because I'm shortening them to be able to din then directly to the starter from behind the valve cover and I was starting to think I made a mistake!

Latest posts

Back