A Curse or a Blessing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no regrets. none at all. i am doing what my father and grandfather did. i will likely be the last.
pretty much to the end, and the end is coming soon! wait===== till next years cutting starts again! lol does it ever stop or does it just discontinue till the next fall? that's the next tree falling or felling that is..... resembles that tv show "never ending story" or sherri Lewis's song with lamb chops... UMmm baked lamb chop's,,, is this getting old? kinda like cutting wood??

Since going out on my own I find myself thinking of quitting quite often these days. When you cut logs and six months later they are still in the landing it gets a bit depressing. When I picture myself doing some other job I get no mental picture at all. I guess I'll keep on...

My grandfathers both worked in the woods. My dad did too, but only for a short few seasons.

Im a third generation logger as well. It sure is an enjoyable line of work. Always something different to figure out and a problem to solve. I worked on construction crews for a few years and that was good too. Just not as much Independence and variety. Six days of the week are for work anyhow so I guess loggings a good fit. Chalk me in the blessing group.

Heard stories from my dad growing up...... The D4 dozer chained to the front of the duce and a half that was converted to a skidder....... The duce loaded so full the dozer held the front down. That pretty much was the selling point for me. Sounded awesome and it sucked me rite in. Needless to say logging is the only thing I've ever done, and its not even "work" more of a labor of love.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Heard stories from my dad growing up...... The D4 dozer chained to the front of the duce and a half that was converted to a skidder....... The duce loaded so full the dozer held the front down. That pretty much was the selling point for me. Sounded awesome and it sucked me rite in. Needless to say logging is the only thing I've ever done, and its not even "work" more of a labor of love.

i remember them army trucks, we called um short dogs around here cuz they were shortened. there was a factory conversion done by white owl motor works, i think in the carolinas.

Steering wheel the size of a hula hoop. Great big gas engine. Rail road track sections on the front for weight.

I think I enjoyed almost every moment I spent in the bush, and glad I found my calling bust or boom.
Does anyone else regret a moment, or would turn back time if they could?
When it's in your blood, there is nothing you can do about it, except to go back to the woods.
John

I was 23 when I started in the woods, now I'm 36 and have been out of the bush this year. Had to take a time-out since the grass seemed greener on the other side, turned out to be a mirage so next year I'll be back and if all goes as planned I will be a forester (-ish, it's a bit different over here).
Your last sentence seems to be very true :)

I would have enjoyed working in the town if it wasn't for 2 things, having to go to the same location, driving the same road every day and having to deal with people all day every day :angry:
I'm not into that!

logging 2 010.JPG Between cutting timber and being blessed with a wonderful wife for 43 years, I wouldn't change a thing. I got busted up pretty bad by a snag after 20 years cutting and figured it was over. After 2 years rehab I bought a cat and became self-employed. My three sons were reaching high school age so I had cheap help for several years. I'm now mostly retired and just help old friends get a few logs out for the spring market. Oh yeah, I don't miss wading the snow and mud!

I was 23 when I started in the woods, now I'm 36 and have been out of the bush this year. Had to take a time-out since the grass seemed greener on the other side, turned out to be a mirage so next year I'll be back and if all goes as planned I will be a forester (-ish, it's a bit different over here).
Your last sentence seems to be very true :)

I would have enjoyed working in the town if it wasn't for 2 things, having to go to the same location, driving the same road every day and having to deal with people all day every day :angry:
I'm not into that!
I was 27 when I picked up a saw for the first time in 81 and haven't put one down since, except for a short stint in mining.
Last week, I called the guy who hired me 34 long years ago and thanked him. It took at least three stories before he could place me.
Anyway he's working a salvage contract on the Queen Charlotte Islands, a heli operation.
I wanted to ask him for a job there, but I think it would be beyond my experience, but bucking on the landing would suite me fine.

Started out in the woods when I was 15 years old, sshoveling snow around trees so they could cut em down, 20below and the snow was over waist high, am now 69 and while I had a detour in another job for 20 years, retired and am now back in the woods cutting, hope to stay as long as I can walk plus while I was working at my other job every weekend I was cutting,Dad grandpas great grandpas and great great grandpas were in the woods so I guess it is in my blood

I moved from inner city Boston to Louisville Kentucky's bluegrass outskirts in my teens. I worked in property maintence and excavation during high school and fought fires on a 12/12 engine (and eventually ladder) crew. Then between HS and college I fought wildland and got my C sawyer cert. I went back to 12/12 in college and worked nights. After college, I started my own company.

There are some things I would love to have done differently. But in the end, I don't regret a single thing I've done since I was born in 1986.

Back