A Felling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mustang mike, sorry i am late here, i don't always check the chainsaw boards. i cut a **** load of large tulip every year, i love it. if you have good markets there for it like i do you should encourage it any where you can. it is much easier to get a good poplar than a good oak.....and faster.
now for your tree.......pics man, show me a pic of what you want to do. tulip poplar swings very nice. like was said, keep your face very open and match your face cuts. humbolts and dutchmans work very well in poplar. i like a block face in very large ones i have to swing as it keeps it on the stump longer.
take a couple pics and post up here. if you really want to know what can be done safely.

What is that "dragging the bar in the dirt" thing I saw? Looks like an easy cut, why are you sprinting from it?
While I probably wouldnt have ran across the cut, in case she chaired, or jumped back (just backing up from the position he was in while making the felling cut would have been safer) ................ there is never such a thing as "an easy cut". If we start thinking "easy", Mr Murphy can perk up and come a calling !

As for dragging the bar in the dirt ............. nothing a stroke or two wont take care of on the 2 or 3 teeth. It wasnt spinning.

What is that "dragging the bar in the dirt" thing I saw? Looks like an easy cut, why are you sprinting from it?
It was leaning pretty good forward, and when the fibers broke it sounded like a .223, even above my loud 385. My rational mind said "loblolly pine isn't super chair-y, you eliminated most of the heartwood from the front, this loud noise isn't the start of a barber chair". My subconscious mind however said, "run screaming like a six year-old girl." The video shows which I chose. I'm so used to having my left hand on the handle, I forgot I had switched during the cut, tho the 385 is so nose heavy with the 42 that it prolly would have dragged. Not the best form, but that's why the video is titled that way

It was leaning pretty good forward, and when the fibers broke it sounded like a .223, even above my loud 385. My rational mind said "loblolly pine isn't super chair-y, you eliminated most of the heartwood from the front, this loud noise isn't the start of a barber chair". My subconscious mind however said, "run screaming like a six year-old girl." The video shows which I chose. I'm so used to having my left hand on the handle, I forgot I had switched during the cut, tho the 385 is so nose heavy with the 42 that it prolly would have dragged. Not the best form, but that's why the video is titled that way
Nonsense! You clearly displayed the fortitude of an 8 year old girl.

There is a reason that "run like hell" is an instinct.

While I probably wouldnt have ran across the cut, in case she chaired, or jumped back (just backing up from the position he was in while making the felling cut would have been safer) ................ there is never such a thing as "an easy cut". If we start thinking "easy", Mr Murphy can perk up and come a calling !

Nonsense. If there are no easy cuts, then there are no difficult or dangerous cuts, and we all know that just ain't so. I never suggested that there are times when you shouldn't pay attention, I just asked what he was concerned about.

If I were to post a video demonstrating my expertise, it probably wouldn't be one where I "run screaming like a six year-old girl." If it were a wild and crazy leaner skillfully executed, I would want the video to show that, not my escape from the tree. Just sayin.

BTW: when I run like a 6 year old from a tree, I don't even stop to drag the saw, I abandon it to fate. I can't ever remember doing that, but I can assure you that I won't be thinking about the saw.

Nonsense. If there are no easy cuts, then there are no difficult or dangerous cuts, and we all know that just ain't so. I never suggested that there are times when you shouldn't pay attention, I just asked what he was concerned about.

If I were to post a video demonstrating my expertise, it probably wouldn't be one where I "run screaming like a six year-old girl." If it were a wild and crazy leaner skillfully executed, I would want the video to show that, not my escape from the tree. Just sayin.

BTW: when I run like a 6 year old from a tree, I don't even stop to drag the saw, I abandon it to fate. I can't ever remember doing that, but I can assure you that I won't be thinking about the saw.
Unfortunately, most of the time I am running and screaming, so it's really hard to get a video without me doing that:(

ah, run! every time. you don't need to scream but get the hell away from the stump. if you don't your a fool. it is habit with me now, i ran from a yard tree with a line in it......habit, a good one. and yes i am on video running away from the stump, there is no shame in it. falling limbs will kill you.

Back