A good trimming saw for $100?? Ryobi 10532 Review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got one of these little Ryobis here that several of you have mentioned for about $100. Immediately upon removing it from the box, it was obvious it was a Redmax. It looks nearly identical to my 3800, LINK. I believe this is a copy the Redmax GZ400, LINK. The only apparent difference between it and the 3800 is that it's stratofied.

Bone stock, it runs better than the 3800. The 3800 has to be muffler modded or is the most gutless saw I've ever run. Once opened up, they are very respectable and have been my favorite little saw.

Externally, these saws are very "plasticy". The fuel and oil caps are small and easy to miss or overfill. Underneath the covers though is a different story. These little saws are way better built than most of their competition. They have a vertically split magnesium case and a bolted on cylinder. The rod is beam shaped and has a caged needle bearing. The two bar studs are mounted in the metal crankcase, not in the plastic around it.

I've got this one torn down to see if I can get a little more grunt out of it. The ports are tiny and won't be easy to work in, but we'll see what happens.

I just thought you guys might like seeing what can be had for about $100, and is better built than most of the competition.

549626802_TqbUj-M.jpg

549626724_UDGoh-M.jpg

Fresh air is taken directly into the extra transfers above the intake port.
549626787_E4LJB-M.jpg

Back side of the intake block.
549627121_Ej2B9-M.jpg

549627061_2GxR8-M.jpg

549627286_3SoPb-M.jpg

549627295_vWXAL-M.jpg

These are the two extra transfers fed by the extra air intake ducts.
549627304_6NEoK-M.jpg

549627723_P56Gf-M.jpg

Your normal transfers fed from the crankcase up through the walls of the cylinder.
549627407_3wDuA-M.jpg

Widening the exhaust will only be limited by the thin port walls, just like I had to deal with on my 3800.
549627417_rDoHT-M.jpg

It does not have the notch in the roof of the exhaust like the 3800. If one chose to raise the exhaust, doing so would be very simple since there is a lip cast into it at the cylinder wall. I'm not recommending that you do so though. You want all the torque you can build.
549627585_KFo3a-M.jpg

These cavaties in the piston are filled with air from the extra transfers directly over the intake port.
549627640_TmkMd-M.jpg

549627690_we4sV-M.jpg

Yes what cc? Where did you get yours from? Keep us updated on how the mods come out and how it runs.

Last edited:
40cc. I don't know where it came from. It was dropped shipped by a friend that I'm modding it for. It's going to his son as a graduation present.

Edit: I guess I could go look at the shipping invoice:) I'm too lazy (tired) to go upstairs, lol.

40cc. I don't know where it came from. It was dropped shipped by a friend that I'm modding it for. It's going to his son as a graduation present.

Edit: I guess I could go look at the shipping invoice:) I'm too lazy (tired) to go upstairs, lol.

Pretty sure home depot stocks them. I have actually had better luck with ryobi power tools than the big guys tools, especially with their cordless stuff.

If it's anything like my 3800, it'll hand a MS200 it's rear end. And all that for $100!

Thats interesting. I looked at them but always figure that they came off the line where craftsmen went left and ryobi to the right.

I'm looking forward to watching this!

I have to say that I have been impressed with Ryobi power tools.
So much so that I bought a Ryobi string trimmer. Really nicely made but the most underpowered thing I've ever seen................until I pulled a Brad on it.

I figured what the heck it was worthless the way it was.
After darn near doubling the size of the exhaust port, gutting the muffler, making a screw slot in the H needle and setting the carb I'm VERY pleased with it.

If that saw shows as much improvement as the trimmer did, I might need one of those.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I hope it turns out to be a good one.

I am sure the young man will enjoy it.. Maybe he will have it at a GTG?

Pretty cool, I need another saw like I need a hole in the head, but I'd still like to try one. I picked up a used 346XP recently that fills my void for a good mid-size saw.

Back