A little chainsaw talk.. Stihl 440? 460?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I had a really nice Stihl 460. Had a mild port job, dual port muffler, 3/4 wrap bar, large felling spikes, etc.

A few guys ran it and went out and bought a new Stihl saw.. it was that good of a saw.

That saw got crushed last week, so I need to buy another.

I've been giving some thought to a 440 instead. My only beef with the 460 was it's weight. (Well and price haha)

I normally run an 18-20" bar, though I do have plenty of longer bars on hand if needed.

Been using a ms290 we had laying around (was a box o saw I fixed) and it's torture compared to the 460 haha!

I have a 360, it's in Tennessee getting ported, good saw, but 18-20" is where it's happy.

Also been thinking of keeping a Husqvarna 2100 for big bar duty, the 360 for normal and something for limbing. Have an 026 I'm fixing and several other brands around that size.

In case your wondering, an 80,000lb delimber will destroy a saw without even feeling it.

Komatsu 200 stroke. Going off the scale tickets last time it was moved.
You might want to watch whoever is moving your equipment. If 80 thousand was the gross weight...empty truck plus the weight of the machine... that might be okay but I'd want to see the net weight and the tare. If they're charging you for hauling 80 thousand you might be getting ripped off.

No, it's a flat rate for moving and is cheaper to have them do it than to keep a tractor and flatbed all legal to DIY (Do have a tractor and 2 flatbeds though). The delimber is based off a excavator frame, they are around 50,000lbs with the digging boom. I forget the version, I think Lc-5 or 6

Now this machine has 36" pads (wider than normal), all the tree guards (risers, bars, grates, etc) all of the delimber parts (heavy).. It's a 3 stage boom too. and something around 15,000lbs in counterweights.
In any case it's really heavy and it smashed the chainsaw into bits and pieces.

If you liked your 460 ,and are buying a new saw ,you will really like a 461 ,is the cylinder still good on the 460 ? if it is that guy doing your 60cc saw can make a real good running 440 for you with it for another option

If you liked your 460 ,and are buying a new saw ,you will really like a 461 ,is the cylinder still good on the 460 ? if it is that guy doing your 60cc saw can make a real good running 440 for you with it for another option

No its completely hosed. Twisted and broke the crankcase in several pieces, broke the cylinder off. About the only thing that survived was the bar and chain somehow!

For me the 044 - 440 is the breaking point for weight for a comfortable limbing saw. Any thing heavier or not as well balanced feels to much for long running time other then bucking up larger logs. 22" is my favorite bar on the 044, actually its only about an inch longer then 20 but I can stand and buck on the ground with little to no back bend and I like having some reach, saves some foot manuevers. If I wanted the saw primarily for bucking, not using it for a lot of limbing or small trees, then I'd go for the 460 over the 440, but really when the trees are large, there is no replacement for displacement and I like the 660.

Latest posts

Back