A little Poulan 306A info needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hekdic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My nice old Poulan306A doesn't want to run except at full throttle after a carb cleaning and I need to adjust the jets but have forgotten which jet is which and the start settings. Any help is appreciated. I've looked but haven't found anything on the internet.

My nice old Poulan306A doesn't want to run except at full throttle after a carb cleaning and I need to adjust the jets but have forgotten which jet is which and the start settings. Any help is appreciated. I've looked but haven't found anything on the internet.
Check your inbox for the ipl, operators manual and service manual. Look at page 8 of the operators manual for carb adjustment.

Just set both screws at 1 1/4 and go from there. The low screw will affect the idle instantly. Why did you rebuild the carb to start with. What was the problem with the saw? Did it act like this before you rebuilt the carb? No way would I tear a saw apart until I made sure what I did was correct.

If it has an air leak it will almost always run unless it's very severe, but it will usually race without pulling the trigger or the idle will be super erratic. But not running at idle sounds like a lack of low speed fuel.

I deleted that probable air leak post & pressure testing, no sense in arguing over trying to save a 40 year old saw...
It's never a bad idea to pressure/vac test a saw, especially one of substantial age, it kind of gives you a bearing as to what direction your headed in, the OP did not specify what the prior conditions were that made him go to the carb for some cleaning, my assumption was that he was running it prior with no issues, I guess I know what that makes me......... I just hope he finds the problem,
ADLM

Sorry to be late coming back to here. Was away from the computer yesterday. The 306A has been set aside for now. I'm trying to help a neighbor that has had 2 hickory trees fall in his yard try to clean it up. One tree fell on another and both fell. We've gotten most of the branches cut away but my llittle Homelite isn't much use for the rest. I've had my father in law's Poulan 2150 in the shop for a while and had replaced the gas lines because they were bad but hadn't gotten to anything else. After choking it and it trying to start, I open the choke and it starts but won't stay running. My neighbor says that if the return line isn't in the fuel, that would cause this but I' not sure that I follow that argument. I've tried setting both jets to 1.5 turns and a bunch of other wider settings but nothing seems to help.

By the way, the 306A has set up for at least a year and when I had similar problems, taking the carb out and blowing it out with compressed air had worked but not this time.

Thanks for the ideas so far. This is a great forum.

The return from the primer bulb does not have to be in the fuel. Probably needs a carb kit. Some of those poulans use an impulse line & if it's cracked you'll get no impulse to drive the metering diaphragm b

I'm not sure I've messed with one, but in my experience zama are more picky than walbro. For what little that's worth.

Some of the (newer) zama carbs initial adjustment is both screws out 2 turns. I don't remember which ones. Worth googling a carb service pdf.

I'm used to much older carbs. What is an impulse line. It has a Walbro carb. I see only the fuel in, fuel return and fuel to the engine lines. I assume that this impulse is pressure from the engine sump.

"Fuel to engine"--if you have a fuel line from carb to a nipple on the block, go ahead and replace it. Cheap insurance. It's not a fuel line--it takes crankcase pulse to carb to flex the diaphragm.

Latest posts

Back