aaaarrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
has this ever happened to you, to set the scene, igot up early this morn well early for the weekend anyway hitched up th trailer and went to collect a trailer of logs,took the 039 just incase anything was too long for the trailer, i have just cleaned greased sharpened her got there loaded logs one log just too long so out comes old faithfull went to pull her over and the cord just pulled no engagement with the fly wheel, so i take off the offending log and return home straight into the workshop stip her down only to find asmall broken piece of plastic a washer and a split pin rolling around insideView attachment 66684 having never stripped a saw down before i take it this little plastic thing is the bit that flicks out and engages the fly wheel is there a name for it or any body clever enough to know a part no. the saw is a stihl 039:greenchainsaw:

i've never worked on a stihl, but i believe the part(s) that engage the flywheel are called "starter dogs" or "starter pawls"

hope that helps

Next time take more than one saw so you can at least retrieve the wood if something goes wrong with ole faithful.

039? - where is the closest dumpster........#### :greenchainsaw:

Troll, lighten up a little......the guy was just asking for help and you go and tell him to throw his saw in the trash.

Sir, if you go to your local Stihl dealer, they can supply the part. As mentioned before, the part is very inexpensive.

039? - where is the closest dumpster........#### :greenchainsaw:
Sometimes Troll you need to shut the #### up. I respect you most of the time, and no doubt you are very knowledgeable about chainsaws, but your constant bit(hing about the 290,310,390 series of Stihl saws is getting old. If you can't say something to help the man out with his problem, then maybe you should say nothing at all. As far as the closest dumpster, your setting on it, and an 039 would probably look funny sticking out of it and probably painful to.

Last edited:
well with the little smiley faces there i kinda took it as a joke . h
No, it was not a joke. It's common knowledge that Troll despises this series of Stihl saws. If you don't believe me ask him about your 310. He will be quick to tell you, if it ain't a 361 you might as well be using an axe.

Last edited:
Stihl uses plastic starter pawls?? ???:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
has this ever happened to you, to set the scene, igot up early this morn well early for the weekend anyway hitched up th trailer and went to collect a trailer of logs,took the 039 just incase anything was too long for the trailer, i have just cleaned greased sharpened her got there loaded logs one log just too long so out comes old faithfull went to pull her over and the cord just pulled no engagement with the fly wheel, so i take off the offending log and return home straight into the workshop stip her down only to find asmall broken piece of plastic a washer and a split pin rolling around insideView attachment 66684 having never stripped a saw down before i take it this little plastic thing is the bit that flicks out and engages the fly wheel is there a name for it or any body clever enough to know a part no. the saw is a stihl 039:greenchainsaw:

You now understand the need for the "2 saw plan". You need to fix this one and get another one, then plan on #3. It's the only way.

Mark

Yes the starter pawls are plastic, do wear and eventually break. Though I am no engineer I believe this is by design. I'd rather the weak link, wearable, replaceable part be the cheap and easy to replace one. Many of the older designs that had steel pawls and alloy flywheels, guess which item took most of the wear from the engagement friction?

I carry several of these in various sizes in my saw tool box on site along with an extra recoil rope, various plugs, etc.. A starter pawl has not me stopped me from cutting ops for more than five minutes in many, many years.

When you replace your pawl, buy an extra one and stick it in your box with your files, wedges, torx wrench and whatever else you carry. You'll be able to put your saw back in service in mere minutes with a little practice. Your 390 is not junk, Sawtroll needs to lighten up the rhetoric with newer members looking for help with their equipment.

Some saws use steel dogs attached directly to the flywheel to engage teeth in the PLASTIC starter rope pulley..................guess which part wears here and has to be replaced? How long to replace a pulley complete with spring re-winding? Probably not something you'd do in the field like a replacing a pawl.

Last edited:
My barber has been feeding his inside furnace for better than the last 20 years with an 039 and an 032 for better than the last 20 years. Takes the saws over to the small engine guy every couple of years and has them gone over. He's in his 60s and he throws that 039 around like he's 20. Never once told me it is too heavy to run, just that it keeps the house warm and the wood cut quick.

Latest posts

Back