aaaarrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not just use metal pawls and a metal starting cup? That's the way they did it in the old days. Problem solved. Sometimes I think we humans are regressing :biggrinbounce2:

Why not just use metal pawls and a metal starting cup? That's the way they did it in the old days. Problem solved. Sometimes I think we humans are regressing :biggrinbounce2:

Except when both wear evenly you have to replace both when they fail. Personally I've never had a problem with the plastic pawls as I usually "feel" when they are worn long before they break or stop engaging properly. Five minutes and a buck or two later it's just like new.:clap:

Except when both wear evenly you have to replace both when they fail. Personally I've never had a problem with the plastic pawls as I usually "feel" when they are worn long before they break or stop engaging properly. Five minutes and a buck or two later it's just like new.:clap:

Yep. Cheaper than a flywheel. Theres a reason(s) they do what they do. Some even make sense.

Aw, c'mon, Niko is clearly not a fan of the saws, but I have seen him recommend them for homeowner use... I think that he was just fooling around. Just remember it's Saturday night.. I bet most of you fellows have a snoot full. I know I do. Peace out.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Aw, c'mon, Niko is clearly not a fan of the saws, but I have seen him recommend them for homeowner use... I think the he was just fooling around. Just remember it's Saturday night.. I bet most of you fellows have a snoot full. I know I do. Peace out.

:cheers:
You may be right, but snoot full or not, it gets old after awhile. The 290,310, and 390 do exactly what they were designed to do. Not everybody who comes on this board makes a living using a saw and don't have a need for a 361,441 or a 660. I always say if it works for you and gets the job done, use it.

Last edited:
Yes the starter pawls are plastic, do wear and eventually break. Though I am no engineer I believe this is by design. I'd rather the weak link, wearable, replaceable part be the cheap and easy to replace one. Many of the older designs that had steel pawls and alloy flywheels, guess which item took most of the wear from the engagement friction?

I carry several of these in various sizes in my saw tool box on site along with an extra recoil rope, various plugs, etc.. A starter pawl has not me stopped me from cutting ops for more than five minutes in many, many years.

When you replace your pawl, buy an extra one and stick it in your box with your files, wedges, torx wrench and whatever else you carry. You'll be able to put your saw back in service in mere minutes with a little practice. Your 390 is not junk, Sawtroll needs to lighten up the rhetoric with newer members looking for help with their equipment.

Some saws use steel dogs attached directly to the flywheel to engage teeth in the PLASTIC starter rope pulley..................guess which part wears here and has to be replaced? How long to replace a pulley complete with spring re-winding? Probably not something you'd do in the field like a replacing a pawl.

+1
Good post

dogs/pawls

thanks again for the info
can i say everybody is entitled to thier opinion on the 039 even troll
doesn't nean to say thier right
i use a saw for household firewood which i get free from work (i work for the local authority and our tree guys dump any downed trees whether wind or rot in our yard ) i spent a good 6 months cutting with an electric black and decker saw so trolly my friend a 039 is one cool tool to me and i don't care what you think cuz i didnt ask for an opinion on my saw i just asked if anyone could tell me what the small plastic bit floating around in my saw was . thanks everyone and i will take your advice and buy a couple...be safe and be cool

i use a saw for household firewood which i get free from work (i work for the local authority and our tree guys dump any downed trees whether wind or rot in our yard ) i spent a good 6 months cutting with an electric black and decker saw so trolly my friend a 039 is one cool tool to me and i don't care what you think cuz i didnt ask for an opinion on my saw i just asked if anyone could tell me what the small plastic bit floating around in my saw was . thanks everyone and i will take your advice and buy a couple...be safe and be cool

That's the right attitude. Have a good day and safe cutting.:cheers:

There's another dumpster at 8120 hwy 85 fortsmith kansas, hehehe I need parts.

Your part number is...............

1125 195 7200 Is the part number you asked for.
I guess everyone got caught up BiXchin' about Troll's comment.

Welcome to the site !!

I guess its two things you can't make a joke about... a guy's wife and his saw! LOL... give 'ol SawTroll a break, he was just trying to be funny. Don't take it so personal, I thought his comment was a hoot. Everybody knows he always comes through when you need important information or specs.

Chuffy don't worry.....

When Sawtroll is out yodling across the fiords, we're going to sneak in and switch his 372, 361, 346 for an MS250, MS290,and MS390! That'll fix him.

Just having a little fun Troll.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Never ceases to amaze me how sensitive Stihl guys are. You'd think troll had spat on his mother's grave or something. :crazy1:

Back