absurd "pro" tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By all means please quote me where I have directed a personal comment at you!.....You on the other hand like to reply to me using words like nong and fool.
I think you are mistaken, that was explained at the time & also explained that I too was once of the same description which wasn't directly directed at you personally, you seem to be sensitised to any comments contrary to your 30 something to one oil mixture belief.
Gold = valuable. Fools gold= not worth much
Please don't tell me you think refuelling a running saw is a clever or safe thing to do! I'm a bogan with redneck tendencies & even I know it isn't! Or are you another Captain Risky?
Thansk

You guys must not have bad enough mosquito populations down there. Some years and in some woods they get so bad they will drive you into fits, running back to the truck. They will literally keep you from getting any work done. The exhaust from the saw helps. Even then they will be all over your back. Bug spray doesnt help. Either you sweat it off or they just dont care.

You guys must not have bad enough mosquito populations down there. Some years and in some woods they get so bad they will drive you into fits, running back to the truck. They will literally keep you from getting any work done. The exhaust from the saw helps. Even then they will be all over your back. Bug spray doesnt help. Either you sweat it off or they just dont care.
Yeah we've got a few, but I've never heard of anyone around here risking 6 months in the ICU burns unit to try & keep them away, maybe up north in the tropics in the heat of the mango season when everyone is driven troppo from the heat!
Thansk

Would I refill a running airplane, probably not, cause an airplane needs a bunch more then just fuel when it stops,

As a youngster, I used to gas crop dusters hot all the time. We all lived to tell about it. A little common sense helps. Just gas on the side opposite the exhaust stack. The risk was just part of the job. When the windsock dropped, we hauled ass until we ran out of fields, calm air, or chemicals.

Risky? Well...the big risk is static electricity. Engine on or off, that's always an issue.

I don't think there's much less ignition risk of fueling a hot, freshly shut down saw, than a running saw. Common sense and due care are required in either case.

people worry about the exhaust, its that whole spark thing with gasoline that makes for a ****** day. Besides how many folks stop, fill up a saw, then immediately start it up and start running it, same goes for lawn mowers, or any small engine, chances are ya just dumped a pint of raw gas all over the thing, and never thought twice about waiting 10 minutes for it all to evaporate, I know I never do.

And yes i've done some really dumb **** with gasoline and matches, bottle rockets, beer bottles, coleman stoves, cutting torches, and welders, and yes Gas does burn really well but its not like it blows up in your face and vaporizes your skin, mostly its just a woosh and some heat, as long as you haven't gone all vietnamese monk on yerself its probably not going to be all that bad.

The funnest thing cause it kept happening... I was welding on the fuel tank to my engine drive welder well brazing actually, and of course there was still a bit of fuel in it, but its only like a 4 gal tank so I just left the lid off and if it blew oh well, maybe it would take the dents out too. Well, of course it lit off, but it mostly make like a rocket noise and shot fire about 2 feet out the fuel hole. The cool thing is that it would sort of extinguish itself, id continue brazing, then it would lite off again, no rhyme or reason just randomly spitting fire and roaring like a jet engine.

Also having witnessed boiling gas on a gas powered colman... some folks take them selves a little too seriously (we had heard that mixing lye with gas would make instant fire alas it was incorrect, when it didn't work we tried boiling the whole mixture, you need lie or sodium chlorate and sulfuric acid...)

I tried lighting a smoke with the exhaust on a saw once. Couldnt get it to go. Although it will torch up some bark when exposed to the same place for a while. I don't run spark screens on my saws. To me I don't see how the exhaust gases could light gas up. You need a spark. You could get a random spark come off of the exhaust like a saw chip that torched up and took off but how often does that happen? Like northy said unless you've doused the saw and yourself in gas I don't think much harm can really come of it. It's the vapor of gas that ignites and burns. Not the liquid itself. There could really only be so much burn off before you kick some dirt on it or something. If anything it would flare up and be done. Scare the crap out of you. But hey there's a million other things in the woods to scare the crap out of you too. And after all this thread is called "absurd pro tips". I'm surprised I didn't get more flack for the running saw on my shoulder when cold.

I tried lighting a smoke with the exhaust on a saw once. Couldnt get it to go. Although it will torch up some bark when exposed to the same place for a while. I don't run spark screens on my saws. To me I don't see how the exhaust gases could light gas up. You need a spark. You could get a random spark come off of the exhaust like a saw chip that torched up and took off but how often does that happen? Like northy said unless you've doused the saw and yourself in gas I don't think much harm can really come of it. It's the vapor of gas that ignites and burns. Not the liquid itself. There could really only be so much burn off before you kick some dirt on it or something. If anything it would flare up and be done. Scare the crap out of you. But hey there's a million other things in the woods to scare the crap out of you too. And after all this thread is called "absurd pro tips". I'm surprised I didn't get more flack for the running saw on my shoulder when cold.

How else are you supposed to warm up
When it's cold outside?

My evil Stihl 090 will sure as heck start bark on fire. Dern near every time.

My old boss cussed me out a few times for tensioning the chain while the saw was running. Left hand on the rear handle, bar nose on a log, right hand using the scrench. Easy peasy.

BaHaHaHa.

All the Pros Be Runnin' Dem 090 Steals.

Man its big trouble out heres to run without a screen... when running hard and hot sometimes the carbon build up inside the saw breaks loose, the scree is supposed to catch all that.
Out by you guys I can see that. Here fire danger is pretty low all the time. We get a fair amount of precipitation year round. I also cut woodlots surrounded by fields. I'm rarely in a "big" woods. I think there is a difference there too.

As a youngster, I used to gas crop dusters hot all the time. We all lived to tell about it. A little common sense helps. Just gas on the side opposite the exhaust stack. The risk was just part of the job. When the windsock dropped, we hauled ass until we ran out of fields, calm air, or chemicals.

Risky? Well...the big risk is static electricity. Engine on or off, that's always an issue.

I don't think there's much less ignition risk of fueling a hot, freshly shut down saw, than a running saw. Common sense and due care are required in either case.
Those ruskies found out about the dangers fuelling their plane, the ones that lived that is.
There must be a risk to it , because nowhere is it recommended to do it, other than by some rebellious types on a chainsaw forum, of course refuelling gasoline is risky with static electricity, a running saw is generating electricity while it's running , and more than likely static electricity as well, I'm not seeing any advantages worth the risk of doing it other than getting the nick name of Bernie Zarsoff is it catches fire.
Thansk

Back