ACTIVE 39.39 Top Handle, thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they look good. I like that split case design. Components all look quality.

I do not believe that horsepower spec though. Is that european brake horsepower?

Never heard of the company however. Sorta looks like a solo-echo love child. Do they make their own components?

Catalogue in English; http://www.active-srl.com/eng/catmotoseghe.pdf

I have never used a top handled chainsaw up a tree before, but i would think that a well balanced saw is more imortant than hp. Within reason it does not matter how heavy it is, but more importantly how the weight is distributed, imo. Also manufacturers stated weights have a tendancy to be inaccurate.
:cheers:

Who ever wrote the promo sure does like the word "special". :laugh:

I'm guessing these are chinese components. Too many parts have "active" stamped on them like the spark plug, crank seals, con rod. Kinda looks like chinese junk... plus they kind of have that echo knockoff look to them

Weak, nasty plastic junk and the specs will be total B.S.

I'm guessing these are chinese components. Too many parts have "active" stamped on them like the spark plug, crank seals, con rod. Kinda looks like chinese junk... plus they kind of have that echo knockoff look to them

Thanks for reply.

No, not Chinese at all, have been advised they have no Chinese components in it, zip, nulla, nyet, unlike say a fully Chinese built Husky T435 [Komatsu designed] top handle chainsaw.

Going to get a relo buy me one and mail it to me, have a soft spot for Italian engineering and technology, eveything they made and that i own has been great, very happy with, inc. a wife!

Yes, they do look like Echo somewhat, that's good news, they, Echo, are a good c/saw, unlike the Husky 338XPT which was full of drama for me and WORSE than a $50 Chinese chainsaw.

The irony, have found out that Active are sold in Sweden, and they have a dealer very close to the Husky plant...LOL

:greenchainsaw:

Cheers and beers

Weak, nasty plastic junk and the specs will be total B.S.

So you own one then?

B.S. = Briggs&Stratton?

How are the NZ anything built going?

Best you get back to the nervous sheep :)

Thanks for your priceless informations!

Cheers & beers

:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
they look good. I like that split case design. Components all look quality.

I do not believe that horsepower spec though. Is that european brake horsepower?

Never heard of the company however. Sorta looks like a solo-echo love child. Do they make their own components?

Yes, these chainsaws [minus bar and chain, walbro carby and electronics] are fully Made in Italy, i will keep digging to see what else i can find....

I do believe the BHP, if anything they may have UNDERQUOTED it, as this companies history is racing 2 stroke go kart engines, they also happen to make a 62cc donk, world's most powerful brushcutter, with a massive 4.5HP!

BHP does not cut timber, torque does, want more torque, easy = more cubes, this puppy has 38cc of them

BHP does look good on brochures/web though!

Cheers and beers!

Do we have a troll undercover sales rep here or sumpin'? 200t's rule.

LOL

Nice, but totally wrong!

Just a part time tree cutter and "collector"

Have around 10 chainsaws, i keep them them even when they are dead, love nearly every one [see below] not a brand slut in any shape or form, open minded and don't follow the crowds and/or act sheep like, buy what i like look for quality and value.

The Chinese 5200 [Komatsu/RedMax] suprised me [how the f/k do they make it for so little coin?] a fair but low quality copy that has taken a licking and keeps ticking, been abused to the max yet has not missed a beat, as did the 338XPT, in reverse......, worst chainsaw i have owned in 20+ years, got conned on that, not the China job.

I doubt we will ever see Active in USA, if you want one you gota import it yourself like i am.

Cheers and beers

:newbie:

Thanks for reply.

No, not Chinese at all, have been advised they have no Chinese components in it, zip, nulla, nyet, unlike say a fully Chinese built Husky T435 [Komatsu designed] top handle chainsaw.

Going to get a relo buy me one and mail it to me, have a soft spot for Italian engineering and technology, eveything they made and that i own has been great, very happy with, inc. a wife!

Yes, they do look like Echo somewhat, that's good news, they, Echo, are a good c/saw, unlike the Husky 338XPT which was full of drama for me and WORSE than a $50 Chinese chainsaw.

The irony, have found out that Active are sold in Sweden, and they have a dealer very close to the Husky plant...LOL

:greenchainsaw:

Cheers and beers

They make their own spark plugs? I've never seen a company put their logo on a spark plug unless its those chinese plugs where you buy thousands and they'll print your logo on them for you...

They make their own spark plugs? I've never seen a company put their logo on a spark plug unless its those chinese plugs where you buy thousands and they'll print your logo on them for you...

I already mentioned that they make most, but not all of the chainsaw, i.e. they DON'T do buy in's from Mahel or Gilardoni like others, they want higher quality, like their go-kart racing engines they manufacture, so Active casts it's own P&C.

Spark plugs are Made In Italy by Magneti Marelli, also used in Efco, Olympic/O-Mac, Alpina, Castor etc etc.It has private-label name of ACTIVE AX80? i think that's the model?[on the brochure i have]

Chainsaw has been ordered, should be here in a week and/or a bit

Cheers & Beers

:D

everything you are saying does check out after doing some more reading. They just look cheap, and yet some parts look really well made (like that short block).

The first thing that will break with be that crappy brake handle, bad design, and too bulky looking. It'll swing into a tree once and snap right off. The lanyard attachment looks like junk too.

Last edited:
So you own one then?

B.S. = Briggs&Stratton?

How are the NZ anything built going?

Best you get back to the nervous sheep :)

Thanks for your priceless informations!

Cheers & beers

Doubt I'll ever own one unless the company is having a free chainsaw sale, and having run Oleo-macs which are no better than the equivalent Echos, and the little spluttering Oleo-mac top handles are wimpy and slow, 338XPT needs tuning for perfect performance and reliability, at least the 200T idles lower and smoother than the husky, the husky loses the plot, starts gasping for fuel and mysteriously running lean then rich, seems to me the engine is warping with heat and the vacuums all over the place leaking in and out of the crankcase. The 338's are junk, ship em' down here dirt cheap now.

, the husky loses the plot, starts gasping for fuel and mysteriously running lean then rich, seems to me the engine is warping with heat and the vacuums all over the place leaking in and out of the crankcase. The 338's are junk, ship em' down here dirt cheap now.

What he ^^ said

Worst pile of siht chainsaw i have ever owned, even the Chinese @ $50 is better than a 338XPT.

Lets see what the Active 39.39 turns out like, if it starts it will already be better than my 338XPT, 338XPT just a poor excuse for a chainsaw and perhaps after the 38 the worst c/saw to ever have a Husky sticker on it.

Pass, just pass!

;)

Last edited:
Would like to know more about this "Active" outfit. Good kit is good kit, regardless the name or origin.

+1

God bless *open minded*!

& my thoughts prezactly!!

Italians know how to make engines, 2 cycle, 4 cycle and diesel etc

I have heard this 39.39 has extreme fast cutting speed, time is money, so that's good!

This chainsaw is not silly money either.

Should be here in a week or so, looking foward to a new toy!

Cheers and beers

1.8KW is about the same as a good 200T which is 5 cc's smaller, doubt these fancy new plastic creations popping up everywhere are going to be contenders at all, seems very Echo - like advertising with a whole ton of bluster and hype and bravado all over nothing but a chintzy plastic carcase with a miserable looking tinfoil engine to back it up. You'd think they would've picked a nicer color too, and the plastic handle and the airbox area look horrible, it all looks Asian husqvarna knock-off, will wait for all the glowing reports of how fantastic they are

Latest posts

Back