ACTIVE 39.39 Top Handle, thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.8KW is about the same as a good 200T which is 5 cc's smaller, doubt these fancy new plastic creations popping up everywhere are going to be contenders at all, seems very Echo - like advertising with a whole ton of bluster and hype and bravado all over nothing but a chintzy plastic carcase with a miserable looking tinfoil engine to back it up. You'd think they would've picked a nicer color too, and the plastic handle and the airbox area look horrible, it all looks Asian husqvarna knock-off, will wait for all the glowing reports of how fantastic they are

h aha ha hah a too good!! I tend to agree.

Its nothing like a 200T, a 200T is a pro saw, this active is not, full of plastic.

200T-mag case, pro style separate cylinder and crankcase.

Active 39.3999393393939393 all plastic with clam shell engine, cheap homeowner

IT WILL NOT last like a 200T will in a commercial environment.

h aha ha hah a too good!! I tend to agree.

Its nothing like a 200T, a 200T is a pro saw, this active is not, full of plastic.

200T-mag case, pro style separate cylinder and crankcase.

Active 39.3999393393939393 all plastic with clam shell engine, cheap homeowner

IT WILL NOT last like a 200T will in a commercial environment.

For me it does not need to, i purchased the *best* top-handle,338XPT Husky, and it was the worst garbage i have ever owned in chainsaw, not being a wood-duck and paying a massive premium for a name/brand, over that.

In Italy and most of Europe

Stihl 200T Euro$708
Active 39.39 Euro$350

So its half the price and not a hope in hell would the LESS powerful Stihl be twice as good.

In other words i can buy 2x of the 39.39 and still be in front

Nothing wrong with composite c/saws, even Stihl make more of those than magnesium or alloy

I think you need to pull your head out and open your eyes and mind and live a bit!

C/Saw will be arriving late this week, sent Via DHL and have the tracking number, photos to follow!

Cheers and beers

:clap:

Pfft, looks more 192t to me. Still ain't passin' judgment just yet. What if Active is the next Dolmar, value-wise?

The price is not the only thing i take into consideration, quailty, performance, balance and feel etc, but NEVER a brand name, could not care about buying a chainsaw just because its popular, GM where popular, and so is cancer...

Never had much to do with Dolmar's but i think they are a good robust c/saw, bit like Solo.

Just goes to show how much Stihl and Husqvrana are ripping us off...

:)

Cheers and beers!

1. For me it does not need to, i purchased the *best* top-handle,338XPT Husky, and it was the worst garbage i have ever owned in chainsaw, not being a wood-duck and paying a massive premium for a name/brand, over that.

2. In Italy and most of Europe

Stihl 200T Euro$708
Active 39.39 Euro$350

3. So its half the price and not a hope in hell would the LESS powerful Stihl be twice as good.

4. In other words i can buy 2x of the 39.39 and still be in front

5. Nothing wrong with composite c/saws, even Stihl make more of those than magnesium or alloy

6. I think you need to pull your head out and open your eyes and mind and live a bit!

7. C/Saw will be arriving late this week, sent Via DHL and have the tracking number, photos to follow!

Cheers and beers

1. Where on earth did you hear Husky had the *best* top handle chainsaw?Cease all communication with them, lest their ignorance be contagious.

2. Yes, a 200t is worth the price differential given the performance,longevity,and reliability.Really.

3.Huh?

4.You would have two plasticy saws that didn't want to start.

5.Legions of weekend warriors and happy-go-lucky homeowners are whom those models are designed for.Does not in any way reflect longevity and/or quality.Sheer volume does not make it so.

6.Ah,the old adage that a cautious consumer is a boring one....albeit frugal.Remember all the sheep that ran out and bought betamax stuff when it first came out.....

7. Do keep us posted.And don't take my post as harsh.That IPL screams plasticky clamshell,and I am more than happy to step back and let your hard earned money be the guinea pig for this relatively unknown company's products.Max out the bar length,give it hell, and get back to us on how it's holding up.

Last edited:
yeah...see 200T is the benchmark for performance and durability. To go all nuts saying your 338 was crap, well yes; you're not the only one. Plenty of complaints on that model. Then you decide its better than a 200T as well? I don't buy that. No plastic saw is going to hold up like the proven 200T.

Active is not the first by a long shot to try and compete in the pro top handle market. No other competitor has come close and that includes dolmar, solo, echo, redmax. There are lots of saws for half the price of a 200T. Nothing special about Active in that regard

The first thing that will break with be that crappy brake handle, bad design, and too bulky looking. It'll swing into a tree once and snap right off. The lanyard attachment looks like junk too.

Never crossed my mind you are a swinger Will.

For me it does not need to, i purchased the *best* top-handle,338XPT Husky, and it was the worst garbage i have ever owned in chainsaw, not being a wood-duck and paying a massive premium for a name/brand, over that.

In Italy and most of Europe

Stihl 200T Euro$708
Active 39.39 Euro$350

So its half the price and not a hope in hell would the LESS powerful Stihl be twice as good.

In other words i can buy 2x of the 39.39 and still be in front

Nothing wrong with composite c/saws, even Stihl make more of those than magnesium or alloy

I think you need to pull your head out and open your eyes and mind and live a bit!

C/Saw will be arriving late this week, sent Via DHL and have the tracking number, photos to follow!

Cheers and beers

More power? Not likely. You really have no idea what your talking about when it comes to the 200T, the benchmark is set very high with that saw, and your little plastic piece of **** will never compare to it. It simply wont last as long, and I'll never buy one because of that. If all your going to do is a few light trimming jobs here and there then so be it. You can have your plastic piece of ****, and I'll keep my 200T's that will last more then twice as long. So even though your little POS is half the cost, the 200T will outlive it by a longshot, so that in my mind makes the 200T a cheaper saw.

Hang a 16" bar on this plastic pos, and with the bar burried do cut after cut after cut after cut, simulating bucking down a big tree, if it can do that time and time again for years after ohhh, a couple thousand hours of run time. Then I'll take notice.

Last edited:
Who cares about photo's on this thing, we've already seen that it looks like a piece of ****. We want to see it running hard is some vids. Put your money where your big mouth is dude.

Here I did some work for ya. Looks like it has decent power. Wonder what chain it has? I'd like to see a side by side with the same chain as a 200T.

I do not like the side handle position on this thing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkJXn2Y7IMA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkJXn2Y7IMA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Different thats for sure. I would be interested to see the structure behind the bar studs. See many a plastic saw go to its grave from a drop. Power seems ok. Should send me one....... and one of these also 620063.

Different thats for sure. I would be interested to see the structure behind the bar studs. See many a plastic saw go to its grave from a drop. Power seems ok. Should send me one....... and one of these also 620063.

I really dont' believe this thing will last in a commercial spot. I know for a fact that my friend will break the thing within a week.

I dont really see it as a T200 substitute, its half the price and not aimed at the full-bore 100% pro market, maybe semi-pro i will call it, be enough for me.

Unlike the 200T Stihl, this 39.39 has 2 x bar studs, not saying its better/worse, but for mine rather have the bar and side-cover clamped by 2 bar-nuts than one.

Dont know how the studs are held into the body, aint got the c/saw yet.

After the Husky 338XPT i know i can be happy! :)

620063 was previously known as a K2Super, i own a std. K2, which has a 56cc donk, and maybe where my love affair with Italian engineering commenced, owned it for over 12 years, been to hell and back and never missed a beat, local mower store is stunned how hard it goes and how long its gone and zero defects thus far, claims he can make no money fixing these, lol

These K- Series where not designed by Active, but by another Italian company which Active purchased, the K series have been fully revamped by Active engineers, from the [my] earlier K series.

Cheers and beers!

:)

Last edited:
Here I did some work for ya. Looks like it has decent power. Wonder what chain it has? I'd like to see a side by side with the same chain as a 200T.

I do not like the side handle position on this thing.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkJXn2Y7IMA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkJXn2Y7IMA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nice find!

Seems to roar ok.

Did lots of digging, forgot all about YouTube!!

Dont own a 200T so wont be able to do a side by side test, as for the 338XPT its back in the box under the bench where it can die, and proves that in life you DON'T always get what you pay for...

Will take photos of them next to each other, and my fleet of c/saws if anybody is interested

Cheers and beers

:givebeer:

I'll trade you a running echo 300t for your 338xp in a bucket, if you hate it that much. I just got one (338) from ebay with a scorched piston and cylinder.

Boss gave us one (husky top handle) at work at the begging of the year, sat in the truck with the tags still on it most of the time.

The active looks like a 191t with the handle and an echo with the plastics.

Last edited:
I'll trade you a running echo 300t for your 338xp in a bucket, if you hate it that much. I just got one (338) from ebay with a scorched piston and cylinder.

Boss gave us one (husky top handle) at work at the begging of the year, sat in the truck with the tags still on it most of the time.

The active looks like a 191t with the handle and an echo with the plastics.

Going to keep the 338XPT as a reminder to buy with my gut feeling and not be a sheep, follow the masses, and to do my own thing, lesson learned.

I cannot really comment on the Active, looks ok, time will tell!

:agree2:

Cheers & beers!

Just a part time tree cutter and "collector"

If you're not swinging the saw up in a tree then what could you tell us about it? It's got more power than a smaller cc saw? It's great for limbing & bucking small trees and branches on the ground?
If you want to show some interest in a saw, then great! If you want to trash other brands before you even have the saw in your hands, then you're shedding light on yourself.
Steve W.

Latest posts

Back