Add On Wood Furnace Damper Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crewchief264

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am installing my USSC Hot Blast 1500 and I have the two butterfly add on furnace 8 inch backdraft dampers installed but
i am needing a 10x20 back draft damper to go between the plenum off furnace. I am afraid of with just add on furnace running it will pull air through the existing furnace instead of pulling from the cold air return with out a damper.

Can you provide any help? Thanks! Not sure if going powered is the best option? View attachment 311341View attachment 311342

I am also looking for a way to have my aprilair (installed on cold air return and wired to my furnace) be able to work in the following: one if not heating with wood.... it works as its installed now... however if add on wood furnace is running it will still operate the existing furnace... I am looking for a way to wire the april air to know that the add on wood furnace is operating and to not turn on the existing furnace.

Thanks,

Put a swing check damper in the supply of the gas furnace. So it swings open when its fan is on, closes when static pressure drops. Looks like your gas furnace was installed backwards. I would not be happy to get a service call on that. Now the chimney is going to make less accessible.

Looks like your gas furnace was installed backwards. I would not be happy to get a service call on that. Now the chimney is going to make less accessible.[/QUOTE]

seen that also,,and said, wth??? makes you wonder who did that? but taking houses apart,,and pulling fuel oil barrels from basements,,ive seen some weird stuff....

Looks like your gas furnace was installed backwards. I would not be happy to get a service call on that. Now the chimney is going to make less accessible.

seen that also,,and said, wth??? makes you wonder who did that? but taking houses apart,,and pulling fuel oil barrels from basements,,ive seen some weird stuff....[/QUOTE]

You all have keen eyes, I am an all electric house and after waiting for a year for my furnace guy..... I measured, for a new Cold Air return and added the new filter box and also had a furnace make the furnace plenum with turning vanes. And the reason the furnace is facing the way it is is because I didnt want to break the freon system. SO I very carefully moved the furnace 4 feet back towards the wall and over about 3 feet.... the house used to be a propane house but I switched to electric 7 years ago and the furnace was in the middle of the basement.... my old gas chimney is directly between the CAR and the SUP..... Gonna be a tight fit but shouldnt be a problem with double wall A rated chimney and a radiation shield. That all said my original plan was to rotate the furnace 180 but not having the equipment to do the freon work..... there ya go... and yea its not ideal to get into the furnace access but its not entirely horrible either... I installed my april air as well....

Last edited:
Put a swing check damper in the supply of the gas furnace. So it swings open when its fan is on, closes when static pressure drops. Looks like your gas furnace was installed backwards. I would not be happy to get a service call on that. Now the chimney is going to make less accessible.

Are those just locally made at a furnace shop? I was looking around and I was thinking of making my own...but figured I would need some type of nylon bushing to keep noise down where the hinge comes through? Or do use a piano hinge design?

Thanks I am just looking for some furnace man experience here... My hop is I can just slit the bottom of the existing duct and slide a damper in from the bottom.... any thoughts and experience is really appreciated!-Thanks

You can buy them, or have them made, and make them yourself if your handy enough. I would drop it in, or go thru the side. I don't think a bushing would be needed but can't hurt. Just make sure it is not to tight, very easy swinging. Look at the daka install thread from spidey, he will probably be posting pics and how to soon.

Back