Added Some Red To The Stable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well as you can see from my sig I'm a Swedish saw guy but was willing to play the field here.

The 70 cc saws move across the trading post like hot cakes and the clean Stihls command a premium that is too much for me to take. To tell the truth, I wanted and had the funding to buy a new 461. But if you offered me a clean used 2186 AND enough coin leftover for new hydro splitter the decision became pretty easy to make.

Nothing is forever and if I see a 70 cc saw that I really "need" I can always snap it up and sell the big boy. If I post it on southern MN craigslist there are enough big trees to increase the demand.
I just happen to know a Jred lover who lives in Southern MN. That was a steal on that saw too! I really wanted to take a run at it myself but with the move in trying not to accumulate more stuff and trying to save money. happy cutting

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's no way I see you ditching that for a 70cc class saw. No way.

I think you'll really enjoy it once you get an appropriate sized bar on there.

That should improve the balance of it.

I'm thinking 18, 24, 28 are probably the three best lengths to have. If I didn't already have an 18 I'd just get a 20 and 28.
Those are exactly my three most used sizes, but I do have I think around 12 inch to 36. I'm sneaking up on using the 36 as soon as the larger branches are finished being cut and I get to the main trunk on the monstah oak. My 394 should be coming home with me from the shop saturday. It runs now after both the husky wrench and meinself worked on it. Took two weeks soaking the flywheel with pb blaster and then me using a slightly modified two jaw puller I remembered I had and a half an hour of tapping and tightening to get it off without busting anything. The actual husky puller, factory tool, didn't work at all...The shaft was then cleaned and magnet area sandpapered etc. It now has spark and starts and runs, yaa! It did before but the spark was so wuss and intermittent that it was a bust most of the time. This thing been giving me fits for two years so far... I think it was tapping with the correct hammer did the trick. Big saws come in REAL handy, and it seems once you have one, big trees find you. Good luck with your new big saw man!

Attachments

• IMG_20150825_124006.jpg
    IMG_20150825_124006.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20150825_124017.jpg
    IMG_20150825_124017.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 13
You hit the cute trifecta there. Pretty saw, dang pretty willow branches and what a pretty yard to work in.

I know, right?

That grass. Damn!!!! So lush.

Sure as hell don't want his gardener to be aware of the gardener's Olympics we have coming up.

Those are exactly my three most used sizes, but I do have I think around 12 inch to 36. I'm sneaking up on using the 36 as soon as the larger branches are finished being cut and I get to the main trunk on the monstah oak. My 394 should be coming home with me from the shop saturday. It runs now after both the husky wrench and meinself worked on it. Took two weeks soaking the flywheel with pb blaster and then me using a slightly modified two jaw puller I remembered I had and a half an hour of tapping and tightening to get it off without busting anything. The actual husky puller, factory tool, didn't work at all...The shaft was then cleaned and magnet area sandpapered etc. It now has spark and starts and runs, yaa! It did before but the spark was so wuss and intermittent that it was a bust most of the time. This thing been giving me fits for two years so far... I think it was tapping with the correct hammer did the trick. Big saws come in REAL handy, and it seems once you have one, big trees find you. Good luck with your new big saw man!

Zogger,

In the shop we've switched over from PB Blaster to Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt has loosened/broken free parts that PB wouldn't budge.

http://www.wellworthproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tis5009.pdf

If you can find it, it's worth a try.

If you do a lot of noodling, you might like getting a wide discharge clutch cover for your saw. I have one on my 2165, my 365, and my 2171 and I think they do much better than the standard cover.

Waiting for neighbor to mow his lawn then we'll drop his willow tree to try it out.

View attachment 443611
Almost looks silly with an 18" bar lol
View attachment 443612
Wow that one is really clean.
I got one this spring from a 86 year old man, He had a bad shoulder and his wife would let him run it any more.
I didn't think it would be as big of a differents from my 372 but it was night and day.

If you do a lot of noodling, you might like getting a wide discharge clutch cover for your saw. I have one on my 2165, my 365, and my 2171 and I think they do much better than the standard cover.
My 2165 would bind up pretty quickly if you leaned into it. This one pushes them right out.

We'll see how it goes this weekend, if it starts again and works well I'll post some getting bigger rounds cut in the scrounge thread. Took me some maximum yank and that was with the decomp (this is ported), but it started readily cold and then we dialed it in a little under max rpm with the tach, still breaking in the new rings.

Attachments

• IMG_20150828_154722.jpg
    IMG_20150828_154722.jpg
    703.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20150828_154734.jpg
    IMG_20150828_154734.jpg
    648.8 KB · Views: 11
Back