Adjusted the High Speed Jet on the New2Me Husky 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ClarkForkBend 003.JPG I pulled the plug the other day and the plug was damp. Found the limited screw was set for full rich. The WOT now screams at a steady RPM, and from the look of the plug it doesn't look overly lean. Tomorrow I drop a very large tree I found dead standing right up along side the road. (like finding money). I will be interested to see if the top of the piston gets cleaned up, cause as of now it looks fouled up with carbon residue.

Be careful with that! Leaning a saw out till it screams is putting it on the edge of failure. The saw should sound a little dirty (4stroke) and clean up to a 2stroke scream in wood screaming no load is not too good for them

It's very hard (impossible) to monitor a jetting change by using the colour of an old plug. You need to use a new plug, run the saw wfo in a cut, then immediately kill the engine, no idling. Even then you really have to know what you're looking for. I would suggest tuning it as described in many posts on this forum, richen till it 4 strokes in the cut, small adjustment lean it out till it clears up in the cut, that keeps you safe even if it has a rev limiter

So after Smokey7's warning I went to back off the screw and discovered that of the half turn allowed, I was maybe 1/10th of that. Now I'm at 1/20th. I guess I'll make some minor adjustments tomorrow when in wood. Or maybe the screw turning has freed up some blockage, who knows for sure?

What has prompted all this is the non steady WOT (load or no load), and that the saw sometimes gets sluggish when into a cut. My fiddling with the adjustment screw tells me that tuning is the solution. I'll know more tomorrow, as the tree is quite large, and there will be plenty of time to adjust and test the changes.

Not sure exactly from your explanation of the symptoms or your needle settings, but if it surges at wot, and bogs in a cut, and screams free rvving, you may have an air leak, proceed with caution!

2 strokes ain't like 4 strokes. You may get some indication of how it's running from the plug, but you can't read them like a 4 stroke.

Be smart and tune the saw by ear. Lean out then back off till you hear it sounding dirty. If it's set right, it will be burbling a bit out of the cut and clean and smooth sounding under a load.

Back