Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like making them listen with the skidder

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422145375125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422145375125.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 57
Like when your pulling a hard back leaning prick. Diff locked driving forward with the winch reeling in till you catch a stump?

Not real familiar with oak, I'd just coos it, big bastard like that would get the T version, maybe gut it? T Coos lets you establish your hold wood and what not, just like a bore, only the "strap" goes most of the way through the middle.

Guy could probably nose through most of the T's leg and leave a bit of a strap, never using the back of the bar, unless you got one of them east coast wraps and have trouble running the saw wrong side up...

I think I'd pay good money for someone to learn me how to cut big white oak and hickory without boring and with no fiber pull from the butt.
Forget it, in timber like that I'd pay you big money to do it just the way you are. Medium sized, and without head lean, sure, but wood like that needs to be done just right.
I don't necessarily agree with the deeper face either, cause you build a lot more tension in your backcut wood.
Coos bay functions really can do a lot for you, how you progress your back cut so you get a lot of wood cut before movement will expand your ability to backcut more.
Boring the heart is always good insurance. just a jab with the corner of the tip when the face falls out.
White oak and hickory, you named it, those are the 2 that will really show you when you've not done everything perfectly. Open faces help prevent fiber pull, but clearly you know that.
There is a time for experimenting, and a time for fundamentals, choose wrong and you can bust wood, or, worse.

9 times out of 10 the tension wood pulls out of the stump. Great for steerage also instead of the side or in compliment with it. If the stick is straight up and down there is no reason to bore it. I don't care what it is. Even a little head lean you gotta chase if you do it right. You need to know that you've cut all you wood when coming from the far side to the near. Like seeing through the tree as if it were transparent. It can be done and done well. That is what makes it fun. Therein lies the patience and the art of timber falling.

I cant fiddle with pics on this machine and the lapper aint working right.

As long as it's not a tree the size of that one I posted a picture of I'll generally just bore in the leaning side and chase it. It's it's got a little to much size I'll pick one of the root flairs and poke my nose through it and leave the strap hold till I get the other side cut.

9 times out of 10 the tension wood pulls out of the stump. Great for steerage also instead of the side or in compliment with it. If the stick is straight up and down there is no reason to bore it. I don't care what it is. Even a little head lean you gotta chase if you do it right. You need to know that you've cut all you wood when coming from the far side to the near. Like seeing through the tree as if it were transparent. It can be done and done well. That is what makes it fun. Therein lies the patience and the art of timber falling.

I cant fiddle with pics on this machine and the lapper aint working right.
I agree. Just don't compromise your safety chasing one with head lean.

Back