Advanced Falling Cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a bunch of hickory storm wood that was leaned way over. Most of the rest of the trees where on the ground but the hickory and a few elms held but where leaned about thirty or more degrees.
Trying not to bust them wide open in a massive barber chair was a real challenge. They where tall and the crown had them bowed like a leaf spring.
I tried the bore cut on them but they kept setting down on the bar as soon as I tried to put any kind of face cut in them. After much cussing bar pinching and a few scary moments. I settled for reaming in a bore cut a few inches from the bottom side, then doing something of a coos bay on the remaining wood and and just dealing with some fiber pull and the bottom side peeling off.

pin hinge, i have done that.......don't like it......some times there is just not a good way.

you were in the south at the time? i didn't think there was much hickory in cali.

sorry, i think i remember you sayin you cut all over........i could be corn fused, its gettin late here

Yes that was in Alabama a few years ago. They had over 100 tornadoes in one day and some serious straight line winds. I got conned into salvaging some of the storm damage for a couple months.

I think I'd pay good money for someone to learn me how to cut big white oak and hickory without boring and with no fiber pull from the butt.

I'd like to watch someone cut a white oak that's say 4 foot on the stump without boring it. Gutting the heart only. Chasing it from the back.

One like that.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422124004316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422124004316.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 67
That particular tree I didn't notch any deeper than usual cause it was pretty dammed straight. Typical white oak just a monster Gutted the center. 28 inch bar. 660 that is well broke in an rips pretty good.

Want to come show me!!!!!??!! Is it much faster doing that style of cutting?

wish i could lol. no, its a little slower but my loads do much better this way. you can't jump a 4' oak. if its faster or slower than your way i couldn't tell ya. why are you wanting faster on them big sticks? more important to not have fiber pull.

Back