Advanced hydraulics dual pump splitter build diesel mower conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cylinder came in yesterday.

ab1ef05f670c0b39dbbd07ccf5b73a42.jpg

b7542e2fee6c9751a310f9fb7424e5ed.jpg

Locating instruments.

Yes. But if completely finished I don't know. Trying to be done. Want to be done. Working on punch list of things to finish. Just matter of time. Afraid I might be making hoses at the Iowa GTG.
If I know Doug this will likely be one of those 2-3 year projects. Doug can get pretty busy with work and be away from shop during week making it hard to find time. I'm amazed at all the work he's got done already! You also have to consider the fact that Doug likes to tinker with things... So I'm sure there will be some v2.0-v3.0 etc where he'll make some changes to make it even better!

Doug, any changes to the flow of the wood deck and lay out this year for the cut?

Also I'm getting pumped to see this bad boy in action!!! It does need a name so when it gets a reputation people can refer to is as project... "Iron-wood" or "Hydro-Monster"??? Or keep it simple and call it project "Overkill"...

Doug, any changes to the flow of the wood deck and lay out this year for the cut?

Some changes I think. Nate said we need to be efficient to beat last year. Plus depends on wind direction. Wondering if we can be faster loading the log racks with the mini's and not the excavator. Thinking of making a third bucking stand for the other side or other trailer(Nates). Plus start a thread on bucking stands. Had several PM requests on bucking stand info.

I would really like to make the Kewanee elevator a belt conveyor but must finish the splitter. Few more things to fabricate on splitter. Jack, steering, gauges, valve mount and seat. All half done or started. Been to tired from work to think straight so I have not worked on the splitter for a few days. Want my mind clear when designing the last few parts. But I have a plan of what I want.

But spring is here and the yard will need mowed soon.

I will have my hydro there to chew through some wood! Just need to keep feeding it and keep it moving.......as well as filled with gas...it's a thirsty one!! So you can try to find a good spot for it, something to think about. :)

Some changes I think. Nate said we need to be efficient to beat last year. Plus depends on wind direction. Wondering if we can be faster loading the log racks with the mini's and not the excavator. Thinking of making a third bucking stand for the other side or other trailer(Nates). Plus start a thread on bucking stands. Had several PM requests on bucking stand info.

I would really like to make the Kewanee elevator a belt conveyor but must finish the splitter. Few more things to fabricate on splitter. Jack, steering, gauges, valve mount and seat. All half done or started. Been to tired from work to think straight so I have not worked on the splitter for a few days. Want my mind clear when designing the last few parts. But I have a plan of what I want.

But spring is here and the yard will need mowed soon.
I think you are 100% correct that the mini's can load easier in the small loading area we have. I'll be bringing a guy or two with me for extra muscle to run the splitters. Perhaps I could spend a couple afternoon/eventings running the mini's with you to sort the log stacks by size so we have the little stuff by the little splitters, medium stuff by the big hydros, and huge stuff near your TM. I'm 90% sure I could keep 3 racks loaded with 1 mini as long as I don't have people walking around me and slowing down the loading. Also we need to remember that the back-up was having fresh muscle to keep the splitters running. There were always logs on the trailers for the splitters even if the bucking stands were empty for a min or two. Then again that will run faster with 2-4 decent sized hydros. Also we could probably place some of the wood bunks near a splitter or two to help pre-stack some wood for you. Stacking 50cord has to be exhausting!

My shoulder is good enough now to run machinery. I can probably even help do a little grinding/cutting on the splitter parts too. Just let me know what and when you need me for any prep work!

Main thing is getting more people to come help. I know there are many hard core people that run all day long, but I know many were gassed by 1-2pm. "Many hands makes light work!"

Stacking 50cord has to be exhausting!

And time consuming. Plus my shoulder is feeling the results of stacking 50 cord plus my 30 cord last year. Plus age and a 10 year old bicycle injury didn't help my shoulder.

We will have some more room to work. I thinned out the overgrown oak trees last fall and ready to thin them some more if needed.

I have been trying to sort the logs by size. But a few bigger logs have sneaked into the main pile.

Oil cooler from mower. Should handle 30 to 40 gpm. Uses radiator fan to pull air through cooler. There is a pre screen on the hood.

e41bc8fdabd255454975376c42046936.jpg

f7ce6b85a3ff98ca92f00a0780b7a9ba.jpg

I like that cooler! in my 'had it for almost forever' '83 chevy van... when I redid the riveted together stock converter's fins and rebuilt the trans after the converter failed... siiing siiingg.... (had rebuilt) I wanted to include a HD trans oil cooler... too pricey aftermarket... so I routed the in radiator cooling thru the air-conditioning condensor. had to 'revalve' it to slow rate of flow for upping cooling effectiveness. works like a charm...

And time consuming. Plus my shoulder is feeling the results of stacking 50 cord plus my 30 cord last year. Plus age and a 10 year old bicycle injury didn't help my shoulder.

We will have some more room to work. I thinned out the overgrown oak trees last fall and ready to thin them some more if needed.

I have been trying to sort the logs by size. But a few bigger logs have sneaked into the main pile.
I think dropping some of the big wood pallets right in front of the large hydros would work good. Once they are full you can swap the rack out or they can switch momentarily to putting it back in the conveyor. Why not have people splitting spend the extra second to stack strait to your pallets/racks? It's not anymore work than putting it in the conveyor really... The bigger racks on the large hydros lend themselves to having a person stand on the end, grab the splits, and stack in rack/pallet.

Ooo baby! Can't wait to see this kill some logs!!!

Doug, probably makes zero difference but just saw the gauge plate... Um would it be easier to view gauges if it was tilted back 20*? Can't really tell since I'm not standing right next to it... It looks awesome! Did you color match the Jacobson orange paint?

Latest posts

Back