Advertising? What do you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ryan Willock said:
What works for you? What doesn't? What is the most bang for your buck? In the past most of my work has come from referals but since I left the area and have now moved back after four years its almost like starting over. A lot of my old clients have moved out of town so I am having to build a new client base so I am now faced with having to do some form of advertising. So far I have ordered magnets for the side of my truck the phone book doesn't come out till august so I am SOL on that one.

I had the same problem in the spring when i started my company with a friend
what we did isa simple flyer with our services and targeted key areas in the city(mature trees. old neibourhood,parks schools ect..)and i would deliver flyers by foot on days off but we got to busy so we got the local post to do it. it's afordable and it works and once they see you work the neibers come out and ask you for quote on there trees

Palm Problem? Just call the Plam Slayer, problems solved for life. :hmm3grin2orange:

Nice video Lopa.

There's this "suss" guy on the Gold Coast, well known but lets say .... hmmm; anyway, he cut down a protected tree and got on the news. He verbacially and boldly claimed that all rights to dispose of trees remain that of property owners and he dont give a hoot if they're protected, to hell with them trees. Apparently he got tons of work from that as hundreds of people wanted him to rid their property of trees. :laugh:

Ekka said:
he cut down a protected tree and got on the news. He verbacially and boldly claimed that all rights to dispose of trees remain that of property owners and he dont give a hoot if they're protected, to hell with them trees. Apparently he got tons of work from that as hundreds of people wanted him to rid their property of trees. :laugh:
And what did the council do?

ROLLACOSTA said:
If you rely on word of mouth you will starve period!!

You have to be in business for a while first. Your statement is true for the first 5 years at least. After 20 years in business, I would say 99.5% of my work comes from repeat and referrals. .5% from YP, in which I only have the small free listing that automatically comes with business number. I do maybe 1 job every 2 months that originated from the YP.

:OFFTOPIC:
Mike Barcaskey,

Over here it doesn't matter whether its public or private, you HAVE to get permission(by law) if its protected... Even if you planted it in your own backyard...

Ekka,
I heard something about that awhile back... To here that the bastard got so much work for what he did really chits me, then again i'm probably jealous about the publicity... Do you know what his fine amount was?

The tree was a protected tree on private property.

From memory the magistrate fined him the quoted price of the tree so he made no money.

But he still does it today, just a tree outlaw.

I've tried the yellow pages several times,and usually ended up spending more time on the phone than working.Most of the calls I got from the phone book were from price shoppers.We all want to be fair,but there are getting to be too many people around here getting into the tree business without a clue as to what they are doing.I've seen some price jobs at half of what I bid.I've met with most of the bigger tree services in this area,and we have all agreed on an hourly rate so that we are all fairly close when bidding jobs,and not cutting each others throats.I have had great success with getting 18x24 real estate type signs with my business name and number on them and putting them in my clients yards when I do work there,and at strategic locations here and there.You may also try calling some of the larger tree services in your area,and see if they have any work they would be willing to sub out to you.I have a few larger outfits that hook me up like that from time to time when they get burried,and of course,I return the favor when I can.I have also had good luck with just a small classified ad in a few of the local newspapers.They have actually made me more money than any of my yellow page ads.

Web Site: Easy Maintenance & Low Cost

A good website costs few bucks but gives big bangs. YOur url should be on your signs.

Guys,

Agree with this one very much! An informative web site that provides 'value added' information can quickly provide the extra push someone needs to use your service as it let's them know that you know what you are talking about and that your business has substance. I have found in my own business as well as from others that supplementing conventional advertising with a web site is very important. You get the consumers attention with conventional promotion that encourages them to look further into you via a web site.

Many object to web sites, having heard that they can be expensive to set up and maintain. This usually comes from those who haven't looked into this for quite a while. Using a web site that provides a 'content management system' enables the business owner to do your own updates. My own site cost around $2,000 and as a 'content management system', I can do everything. Select colour schemes, header graphics, page text, picture editing, etc. It uses what is called a 'wysiwyg' (pronounced whiz-e-wig) which is an abbreviation for 'what you see is what you get'. The user interface is very similar to what we use here at this site to post these messages. If you can use this web site, you can use a 'content management system' to create your own web site.

Back to the original point, my brochures, 'word-of-mouth', etc., gets peoples attention and then the quality of information and substance from the web site assures potential customers of my expertise.

Scott

Cut Throats

TIMBERHAULER, we have the same problem around here. All of a sudden there are tree company's coming out of the woodwork. Junk equipment, NO EXPERIENCE, NO WORKERS COMP, and HUDGE yellow page adds. These clowns are asking customers for there best price because they don't no how to bid because they don't know how long it will take.
I bid a large willow removal and stump grind last spring for $2850. Would have got it done in 8 or maybe 9 hours. ( 3 or 4 loads of logs = time ) Some local hack went in for $800!!! It took them 3 1/2 days.:laugh:
The bottom line is most customers know you get what you pay for but allot of people are looking for the cheap way out regardless.

Marketing: Dynamic Web Site v. Static Web Page

I use a company that charges only $25 per year!
http://www.doteasy.com/index.cfm?A=woodchux

Woodchux,

My thoughts are that a 'web site' should be somewhat more than just a copy of a newspaper classified ad hosted at someone else's domain. A web site, should provide the visitor with access to information of substance and not just be a repeat of the business name and phone number.

Using a good CMS (content management system) I've built a site with more than 50 pages of information that allows for a rotating header (although I only have one in there right now) providing the visitor with visual dynamics, there is an archive system for self-published or third party documents, a contacts system (also self-administrable) that facilitates bulk mailing, automatic follow-ups and reminders, as well as many other features.

Where I believe most businesses fail to recognize the value the internet presents is that they basically take what they do in the yellow pages, scan it electronically and post it on the internet and then believe that they have a 'web site' but wonder why it doesn't produce any better than their yellow page ad. Of course it doesn't, why would it, it basically is the same concept! A web site with CMS system has the ability to dynamically change articles, pictures, graphics, that all the while provides the prospective buyer with as much quality information as you want to put in. A graphic image (that can't even be recognized by search engines such as Google) as a web page hosted on someone else's domain is quite a different.

Scott

You do have a very nice website there Scott.

Most of us tree guys don't need a $2000+ website though. Heck for $25 per year you can have a very nice website. I mean $25 for everything! The www(your own domain name), the hosting, They even have an easy to use website building program that is included. No popups or ads on your pages. I have checked out lots of companies, and 25 bucks is the rock bottom cheapest anywhere. Actually if you purchase a couple years in advance, the cost per year is only $18 !! I have been using this company for a few years already, no catches, just good affordable websites!

Good month for flyers.

I just gained 5 new customers in the past week and a half, from flyers that I left at homes during the past 2 weeks.

When I work, I'll walk 5 houses one way, and back, and then 5 houses the other way, and back. 20 house - maybe 7 minutes.

I do it just before starting to work, when in neighborhoods with homes close together.

Missed opportunity

Commercials on your local cable network!!!!!! I have first hand experience with this. It is about half as expensive as anyother media and provide far better results. Two things to remember when taking this route:
1. The price they quote can be negociated
2. Frequency is the key to results
It took two months, running everyother day, on certian channels to make five times what I paid.

re

I give very customer of mine a magnet with a picture of me, my crew and whole outfit posing nicely, everything all clean, with the yearly calender below the picture so they can have it on their fridge for immediate calling in storms, and I even give them to every customer i bid that doesnt hire me so when the hack that lowballs me screws up or doesnt finish because he knows hes not making money, they can have a quick referance back to me, i downloaded my own photo and got them from vistaprint .com and just under .50 each, 1 job will pay for as many as ive bought

Latest posts

Back