Advice on Latino workers (legal ones), what is your experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a crew of 5 guatemalans and 2 mexicans the summer before last. They were here LEGALLY(paying taxes like the rest of us poor b@astards) and they would outwork ANY of the guys I was working with. great group of guys, but the language barrier was difficult. As longh as I treated them the same as everyone else they were happy. wish I had a few american workers to chip behind my bucket truck that worked as hard. Oh, and they were paid $10/hr(our groundmen start at $8.50) because they were WORTH it.

I've been in the tree game 20 years and worked with many different tree crews made up of many different nationalities. English, Irish, German, Australian, New Zealand (Maori) and since being here, the guys you are currently discussing. NO-ONE and I mean NO-ONE works harder than the Latino/Hispanic boys.......that's all there is to it, end of story. As far as I'm concerned most, if not all of us could benefit from taking a 'leaf out of their book.' I just wish I spoke better Spanish.......Those twats who can't see further than the end of their own stuck up noses should open their eyes, I have nothing but respect for a group of guys who move abroad and then out work and out skill the local work force. In fact, since being in this great country and having worked in the tree game here for 6 years, I've yet to work with an American climber. I agree with TexasTimbers, if you're honest, dependable, hard working and do as I ask of you (without too much argument), then I couldn't give a toss where you're from. And anyway, I'm an immigrant.....

Last edited:
Back