Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Someone wants me to cut a really big (36" or so?) oak down for them. I am not sure whether or not I want to do it. I'm neither licensed nor bonded, but the tree is out in a field and pretty straight - probably not terrible to take down.

I don't want to step on any professional's toes, and, frankly, I usually only cut trees down for myself or as a favor.

Here are my questions:

I'm in Arkansas. As far as anyone knows, are there any legal reasons I shouldn't do this?

Are there any ethical reasons I shouldn't do this (ex: stepping on the toes of local professionals, though a lot of the guys around here who are professional aren't all that professional, if you know what I mean).

Are there any major safety reasons I shouldn't do this? I've cut down plenty of trees in the past, some that seemed more difficult than this one. Basically, I think I can handle it. It's likely not even the biggest one I will have ever cut down.

Were I to decide to do it, what would be a reasonable amount to charge?

Doing milling and even charging for that work is now something I think I am fairly comfortable with. This is in a different league, though.

I know there are probably other forums where I might get better advice but I wanted to ask here first because I know you guys better.

Thanks in advance.

YB

I think maybe I am just going to give him a price that he likely won't want to pay. I don't really want to do the job and hardly know the guy.

Are you cutting it down and milling the timber for him? Or is it a drop-n-go?

I've dropped and milled...never done that latter. What I didn't mill was left for firewood, or whatever they wanted to do with it. The drop-n-mill has a lot of variables that can play into the price quote, so find out everything before quoting money.

Scott (don't under-value yourself) B

So, I don't particularly want to do this, but I have the feeling that this guy is just going to keep bugging me. Is like $300 totally unreasonable? I guess I would be willing to do it for that (also will need to cut another big one that's down into chunks). It's a 3' diameter oak (red? can't tell from the bark). I figure that if he says "no" to that price then maybe he'll stop bugging me. I know he plans to cut it up and sell it for firewood.

Thoughts?

Good, sound advice so far.

If you decide to do it, might be good to bring a good friend for two reasons:
1. Second opinion. Watching whatever you do (I was the second guy on a job recently where I had way less experience, but still added a lot on a 5' diameter spruce, according to my arborist buddy.)
2. Crowd control. Even if the crowd is just the owner, they can be distracting, and at worst dangerous.

Back