Aftermarket 090 cylinder kit and crankshaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tz350g

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone actually used Bailey's chrome plated Stihl 090 cylinder? Or their 090 crankshaft? Before anyone thinks I don't trust Bailey's...everything I've bought from them has been exactly as I expected, I'm a happy customer. The reason I ask is I found mention in a thread on hopping up an 066 where one of their chrome cylinders had chipped the chrome by a port edge ---after or during porting--- and they promptly exchanged it for a Nikasil one, which is what they switched to after phasing out the chrome ones. I don't intend to port it, just use it as it was made. But I came to wonder if the chrome cylinders are as good as the Nikasil ones? Different vendor? maybe not quite the quality? Thanks.
Brad H

Hey tz350 welcome to the forum!! you race them 350's
you gettin some rep

Last edited:
blsnelling,
Probably be OK if I don't port it. I've used a bunch of chrome and Nikasil motorcycle cylinders and chrome chips rather easy, Nikasil is soooo much tougher.

gregz,
Not many people even know what they are, Thanks. Yup, raced them and as soon I get settled in from moving I want to get them back on the track!

Lakeside53,
Sure is my fear. I've recently had one in my hand and it looks great! BUT I can't see material quality like alloy, heat treatment etc. But it sure looked nice!

Anybody actually use one? or any of their chrome cylinders? or one of their crankshafts?

Brad H

Just because you can't see it doesn't make it good... I've never had an OEM peel coatings.. seen plenty of 044 and 066 aftermarket junk do that.

You do get what you pay for - a lack of QA/QC. Some may be fine, others a disaster. Roll the dice, take your chances.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,
I was hopeing for good news but like too many times with aftermarket motorcycles parts I've learned most just aren't worth the trouble. I've been searching the posts here and there are just TOO MANY times I find people are having issues with the aftermarket cylinder kits. I don't want, won't accept, probably/maybe it'll work, it needs to work, period. I hate wasting time on inferior parts, the time lost is never worth it. OEM it is.
Brad H

I installed a Bailey's P&C on my 038M just shy of two years ago. I usually use the saw for bucking and trimming logs before I mill them with another saw. I did end up using the 038 to mill a days worth of olive since putting the after market jug on and it is running strong.

Thanks BlueRider,
That's what I'm looking for!!! Actual users!!! It's great that you have used a Bailey's cylinder kit and it's doing well for you. That's what I'm hopeing for!!!!!!

I found a post that stated they need to buy 1000, that's one thousand!! kits at a time, so .... come on everybody their must be more users on the site!! Speak up, the good, the bad, THE facts!!!!

Brad H

Latest posts

Back