al gore wants me to buy a battery powered chainsaw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
you know al-gore has shamed me into getting out of these polluting gas powered tree murdering right wing things called gas powered chainsaws--

saying i can "go green" and "save a tree" if i get one of these greenie battery powered jobs , now i haven't had a battery powered chainsaw since i was a kid if you remember those toy saws that pulled a bathtub chain--

so the question for today is "how bad can they suck?"

The battery saws, the top of the line ones anyway do not suck at all if the intent is to run 1/4 or the 0.043 3/8 low profile chain. Are you really serious here? I can see if it was blowing sand probably would be better off with an air filtered gas one. If you carry a gasoline and an oil container they are not going to replace that.

Id rather find a saw with the worst emissions then go electric

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7 x2
Husqvarna 36

well i got this 50" dry hickory-- how far can i get on one battery???
Most guys here on A.S. will tell you that they need more than one chainsaw anyway. Something that I use on a '50" dry hickory' is not something that I would want to use for limbing, or even for everyday firewood bucking.

I own a bunch of gas, corded electric, battery, and (gasp!) manual saws. Here is some stuff that I have cut with the battery ones:
IowaGTG131.jpg P2282819.jpg P1103482.jpg *except those really big ones on the left and right - those were cut with a corded electric chainsaw
IMG_5141.jpg
photo 9.jpg
* As I recall, this was about 1-1/2 of the standard batteries - the new batteries last much longer.

Philbert

I remember working with a tree trimmer 10 years ago who ran his business with a Remington electric chain saw. I fixed the saw three times for him, but his biggest problem was that he kept cutting the power line in half. A chain smoker, I guess the smoke got in his eyes, especially when he climbed a ladder to use the saw. One time he cut off the top rung of the ladder.

Now of course, these cordless models might be a step up from the Remingtons of old, but Free Will may know more about that than I do. Remington electrics are rated at 3.0 Hp? That's the same power as an MS 250? Are you kidding me?

I make my living with saws and my next saw purchase will likely be the t536lixp. There's a lot of advantages to a battery powered top handle for a climber...
Does that saw let you know exactly how much charge is left in the battery before you climb the tree? Suppose it's half dead, you get to the top of the tree and suddenly there is no juice. Also, how long does it take for a full charge compared to filling a tank of fuel in a gas saw? Time = money.

"Hey, boss, time for a lunch break. My saw's battery is dead."

There are $30 electric chainsaws, and there are $500 electric saws. There are cheap gas saws, and ones more than my first 3 cars (combined!). Same thing with battery tools (all types).

If someone can't stop cutting cords (or ladders!) then they should not use them. Some people should not use any chainsaws.

Philbert

I remember working with a tree trimmer 10 years ago who ran his business with a Remington electric chain saw. I fixed the saw three times for him, but his biggest problem was that he kept cutting the power line in half. A chain smoker, I guess the smoke got in his eyes, especially when he climbed a ladder to use the saw. One time he cut off the top rung of the ladder.

Now of course, these cordless models might be a step up from the Remingtons of old, but Free Will may know more about that than I do. Remington electrics are rated at 3.0 Hp? That's the same power as an MS 250? Are you kidding me?

Just going by what the sticker says on the saw. I can and will say this though. I've used it quite often, and as long as you have a proper, heavy-duty extension cord, it rips thru the wood.

And, it's convenient as Hell. Oh yeah, and it's quiet. :rock:

I could see a battery-powered saw for doing stuff around the house. But, It's going to be a long while before I spring for one.........
Maybe Al Gore will buy you one?

I've used it quite often, and as long as you have a proper, heavy-duty extension cord, it rips thru the wood. And, it's convenient as Hell. Oh yeah, and it's quiet.
Plus,
No gas to buy, mix, store, dispose of.
No ethanol issues.
No hard starting or flooding.
No air filter or fuel filter.
No spark plugs to foul or change.
No carbs to adjust or rebuild.
No two-cycle fog or smell.
It's 'On' or it's 'Off', or somebody tripped a circuit breaker.

Before people call them 'sissy' saws, recall that the first STIHL (1926) and Homelite (1946) chainsaws were electric.

Clearly, limited for use in the woods, but for residential use they can be a good choice. Where I live in the city, I am never more than 100' from an outlet.

Philbert

Back