al gore wants me to buy a battery powered chainsaw!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe Al Gore will buy you one?

Plus,
No gas to buy, mix, store, dispose of.
No ethanol issues.
No hard starting or flooding.
No air filter or fuel filter.
No spark plugs to foul or change.
No carbs to adjust or rebuild.
No two-cycle fog or smell.
It's 'On' or it's 'Off', or somebody tripped a circuit breaker.

Before people call them 'sissy' saws, recall that the first STIHL (1926) and Homelite (1946) chainsaws were electric.

Clearly, limited for use in the woods, but for residential use they can be a good choice. Where I live in the city, I am never more than 100' from an outlet.

Philbert

Yes....and all the things you listed.

Corded saws really do come in handy. Never thought about buying one, until I came across the one I bought at a yard sale.

It was like new in it's box, all the paperwork included. Pulled it out of the box, and could tell it had been used once or twice.

I talked um down from $15.00 to $10.00. Best $10.00 I've spent in along time. :dancing:

For those of you that don't have one, you're missing out. ;)

I have about 10, including: Remington, Craftsman/Poulan, Oregon, Makita, and Jonsered models, ranging from 7 to 15 amps. One is a 'chainsaw-on-a-stick'.
The cheaper ones have plastic gears, and will work if the chain is sharp and treated gently. Some have held up to Home Depot rental use (!!!).

I have tried to sell a few on CL but keep getting guys like Free Will!!! For $10 I'll keep it for the bar and chain!

Philbert

Reason I opened this thread is I'm considering a battery powered Pole Saw. Can't help but think how much battery power makes sense for this application. For me, it's a two hour requirement that I'll need to do about once every 3 months or so. My only concern is longevity of the battery. I'll pay for quality, but don't want to buy battery's every other year.

The battery powered saws today are a big step up from the greenworks 24volt I had 4 years ago, that was only good for ten maybe 15 minutes run time cutting 2 inch limbs. Even harbor freight has a decent 40volt saw now and greenworks makes a good 80volt.

Reason I opened this thread is I'm considering a battery powered Pole Saw. . . . For me, it's a two hour requirement that I'll need to do about once every 3 months or so.
I have the Oregon 40V pole saw. I consider it to be 'prosumer' quality - better than homeowner, but may not hold up to professional use. I have used it for storm clean up work.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-40-volt-pole-saw.248941/

Key thing is that the batteries and charger can make up 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of the tool, so it really helps to look at the whole 'family' of tools, even if you are not planning on buying anything else right away.

The Lithium-ion batteries are a different animal than the older NiCad or MiMH ones. Keep their charge longer. Keep full power until the end of the charge.

Some general recommendations:
- 36V or above
- Li-Ion batteries
- 4 Amp hour (Ah) capacity or above
- make sure that the batteries are removable (so you can charge one while you work with the other), and
- get at least 2 batteries.

Other than that, look around at brands you trust, and see what feels good to you. Oregon and STIHL have models - not all of the cordless O*P*E lines do, but this stuff changes quickly.

Philbert

I have about 10, including: Remington, Craftsman/Poulan, Oregon, Makita, and Jonsered models, ranging from 7 to 15 amps. One is a 'chainsaw-on-a-stick'.
The cheaper ones have plastic gears, and will work if the chain is sharp and treated gently. Some have held up to Home Depot rental use (!!!).

I have tried to sell a few on CL but keep getting guys like Free Will!!! For $10 I'll keep it for the bar and chain!

Philbert

I'd like to hear your opinion of which is best. Which one(s) have the metal gears?

I've been toying around with the idea of spending some good money and buying a very high quality corded saw.

TIA!

I'd like to hear your opinion of which is best. . . . I've been toying around with the idea of spending some good money and buying a very high quality corded saw.
I haven't tried every one, but here is my experience:

I first bought a Sears/Poulan almost 30 years ago - it was 12 amps, about $80, and a good homeowner saw. Still have it. I don't like what they currently (no pun intended) sell.

Oregon came out with a 15A corded saw about 2 years ago, which sells for about $130. It comes with the PowerSharp chain built in (but you can use any chain). It fits in that 'prosumer' range. I like it.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/new-oregon-corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/

I bought a Makita UC4000 used from HD rental stock, figuring that if it held up to that, it should hold up for me. HD turns over their rental stock every 3 years or so. Mine is 12 Amps - the current, comparable model is UC4051A, and I believe 15A. I really like the balance of this in-line tool; very agile, and fits into tight spaces, like trimming hedges. Used to also be sold as a Dolmar model in red, for $240 - $260?

Husqvarna and Jonsered also have in-line models that list for about $300. I have one that I picked up at a garage sale, but have not used it much. Similar in appearance to the Makita saw, but I don't think that they are the same.

Then there are the STIHL models. More of a conventional chainsaw design, with a sidewinder motor. Have not used any of these, but they have a good reputation and feel heavy duty. https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/electric-saws/

Most of the newer electric saws have a conventional chain brake; some also have an electric brake (chain stops instantly when trigger is released). Better saws will have better components (maybe 'polymer' instead of 'plastic'?) and be double insulated. Get a good extension cord, and don't forget that they still need bar oil!

Philbert

what about the ones with the plastic gears made in china???--

LOL i did see a video on a echo -- 48v i think it was -- it seemed OK long as it had the new battery and it was full charge. with the old batt it was start stop-short out then bog--lol

since i started running these echos i can't say i have had a fouled plug or a flooded carb , nor can i gripe about hard starting--

if your not doing much work a electric might be OK for a home-owner . but hey what if you don't like GAS home-owner saws??

if your not doing much work a electric might be OK for a home-owner . but hey what if you don't like GAS home-owner saws??
The ones to discuss are the direct drive ones hence no gears. The ease of communication is certainly an advantage in an employee or helper situation. At least with the 36 volt Husqvarna one I have noticed getting my assistant to switch to the gas saw so the battery is saved for on off little stuff doesn't work out too well.

LOL i did see a video on a echo -- 48v i think it was -- it seemed OK long as it had the new battery and it was full charge. with the old batt it was start stop-short out then bog--lol

since i started running these echos i can't say i have had a fouled plug or a flooded carb , nor can i gripe about hard starting--

The Echos with the pot metal carbs made in China?

It seems kinda silly to equate a particular type of power tool with some political agenda - it's just a tool, suitable for some things and not for others. If you try to use it for something it wasn't intended to do you'll probably be disappointed. I'd like to have a corded and a battery saw to go along with my gas saws, and probably will some day.

If it makes you feel any better, most of the electricity used to charge one comes from coal and natural gas.

The Echos with the pot metal carbs made in China?

It seems kinda silly to equate a particular type of power tool with some political agenda - it's just a tool, suitable for some things and not for others. If you try to use it for something it wasn't intended to do you'll probably be disappointed. I'd like to have a corded and a battery saw to go along with my gas saws, and probably will some day.

If it makes you feel any better, most of the electricity used to charge one comes from coal and natural gas.

EXACTLY!

I like having the right tool for the job. For the most part, I do. The older you get, the more important it is to have that right tool when it's needed.

I don't smoke or drink or waste money on either. But, I do have a thing for O P E. ;)

humm my echo says japan--

any way i can hook up the battery charger to the skidder?? i don't know if its got enough amps to charge all these greenie chainsaws---

humm my echo says japan--
any way i can hook up the battery charger to the skidder?? i don't know if its got enough amps to charge all these greenie chainsaws---
ECHO is a Japanese company, but like a lot of larger companies, manufactures, or has parts made, in several countries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamabiko_Corporation
http://www.echo-usa.com/About-ECHO/...BIKO-Corporation,-Parent-Company-of-ECHO-Inc-,
http://www.echo-usa.com/About-ECHO/About-Us

BTW, I generally have a positive impression of ECHO products, and own a CS400 chainsaw.

The ECHO cordless line, however, is actually a private label brand of The Home Depot, manufactured by TTI - you will not find them at any ECHO dealers.
http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_company/
http://echocordless.com/

The question about vehicle charging is asked all the time - it is standard for cordless carpentry / construction / trade type tools. Most manufacturers will state something about 'with an appropriate sine-wave inverter . . .', which means 'use a good one'. There will be some loss going from a standard 12V vehicle system, to a 120V inverter, back down to a 36V, 58V, . . . battery, so I am sure that there could be more efficient ways. But 'Yes', you could charge the batteries off most heavy equipment, tractors, vehicles, etc.

Philbert

Reason I opened this thread is I'm considering a battery powered Pole Saw. Can't help but think how much battery power makes sense for this application. For me, it's a two hour requirement that I'll need to do about once every 3 months or so. My only concern is longevity of the battery. I'll pay for quality, but don't want to buy battery's every other year.

The only battery-operated pole saw whose pruning attachment isn't made of cheap plastic and cheaper steel I can think of is the Stihl HTA series, but to call it "prohibitively expensive" would be a mild understatement.
The true weak point of these electric pole saws is not so much the battery, but the saw itself. Your best bet would probably be to buy a cheaper model, run it until it starts falling to pieces and just buy a new one: you can buy several Ryobi pruners for the price of a single Stihl.

The true weak point of these electric pole saws is not so much the battery, but the saw itself.
IMO the 'true weak point' is the pole, just as it is for gas pole pruners.

Some electrics have rotating shafts; some just have wires.

@Free Will can get and use one good pole saw for the price of a few cheap ones. The batteries will also be compatible with other, better quality, O*P*E.

Philbert

They have a battery life indicator. The battery charges faster than.it depletes. Two batteries keep you going non stop if you can charge them. If not use the gas saw.
That is what the literature wants you to think. The charger, at least the one I have The Husqvarna 330 draws 330 watts. The saw probably makes power in the range of a 13 amp circular saw (13x120=1560). It does not make sense. I also have drained a battery in 13 minutes and probably was only actually cutting half the time. I think they charge up to 80% or so probably at that 330 watt draw but the last fraction goes slower.

Back