All Around Best Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best Wood

In my area of Central NY, the best is probably white oak, if you can get it. What I settle for is maple, ash and cherry.

They are very hard to find, but my favorite is the osage loakustberry.

Burns real hot, splits easily, coals last forever., A trash tree, people that don't know any better give it away or pay me to cut them down.

:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Ok, a real answer:

Any locust, any mulberry, and osage orange are all hotter burning and last longer than oak. They are also a bit harder to start a fire with, and they are more difficult to process into firewood.

I vote for free.:clap:

Seriously, hickory is pretty good. Have not really burned that much oak because there is not that much where I cut. This year I have about 80% cherry which is okay and smells good, but doesn't throw the heat or coals that hickory does.

Best woods

Hickory
Osage
White Oak

Most abundant (here at least)

Sugar maple
Silver maple
Norway maple
Red Maple
Ash
Cherry

They all burn good, I usually dont waste time with silver maple if something better is available, but it still burns. I don't like burning elm if I can help it though, its just nasty stuff.

My vote would be for cherry. You will be hard pressed to find a hardwood that seasons relatively fast, splits fairly easy, and is as easy on your saw as cherry. Throw in the fact it lights and burns well with a nice aroma and you have the perfect firewood.
But then its just my opinion :)

There is a lot of variance by region, some of these species I have never heard of.

The most popular here are:

Red and White Oak
Sugar and White Maple
Cherry
Hornbeam
Beech
Yellow and White Birch
Ash

My vote would be for cherry. You will be hard pressed to find a hardwood that seasons relatively fast, splits fairly easy, and is as easy on your saw as cherry. Throw in the fact it lights and burns well with a nice aroma and you have the perfect firewood.
But then its just my opinion :)

Yeah...that's a good one for sure.

I want to say red oak because of the availability around here, BTU's , and sweet splitting but it does take some time to season. Plus, it pains me a tad to take the acorns away from the deer herd.

I'm going to go with Ash. Abundant (on my property), splits easy, burns green, middle of the road BTU's, no foul odors. It's the whole package.

This is a really hard question.

In my area, our favorites are

1. Madrone - Fair avalibility - Very excellent burning

2. Oak - Rare finds are used like Scrooge spends money

3. Doug - Very common good fuel

4. Alder - Very common good fuel

Thats about all we have around these parts, besides vine maple which is used mostly in the smoke house.

Owl

Dead standing Locust...it's hard as a rock and gives off heat like a blast furnace !!!!!

Red oak....easy to split, abudant and takes less time to season than some of the other hardwoods(hickory, live oak, white oak) around here.

Locust, or Osage Orange.

You guys that burn osage, does that stuff ever damage your grates? I wouldn't burn that stuff in a plain steel stove unless it had firebrick. I had a cheap Made in China sand cast grate and Osage burned through half of that thing!

Ash!
Least sap of all the hardwoods, so it seasons quickly. The tree is mostly trunk, so there isnt a log of limbing. It splits easily, and is pretty common throughout the country.

KNOT a lot of NOTS:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back