All of a sudden no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithandstef

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
been cleaning my husky 257 and now got it back together. Nothing too intense as far as cleaning but now she won't start. Pulled the plug and hooked it up to the spark wire and got no spark (yes it's grounded). I'll run out and get a new plug but is this the likely culprit?

Man it all looks good in there. The ignition coil and wires look in excellent condition. Weird. I checked all the connections and toggled the on off switch a bunch to break up any carbon.

Ok. There are gremlins at work. I swear I never touched the on off switch during the recent cleaning, but it seems that when the switch is in the off position, I get spark. Zero spark when in the on position. How in the world can this be? I'm dying to hear some answers. Kid you not guys, I didn't mess with the switch when I cleaned her. What is up with that??!

Now, how do fix it other than remembering this weirdness? I haven't actually fired it up yet. I'm still scratching my head a bit.

I don't follow. I could see getting spark in both on and off if the kill connection in the switch went bad. But for it to be opposite?

Well, depends on how the switch works. Can you snap a pic of it? It is probably one of those simple slide types that move some conductive strips back and forth. One of the strips could be bent/broke and
touching wrong.

Yes, looks just like that. I went out to try and get her going in the off position and it sputters to speed and then dies. She's clearly confused. Sounds like a new switch is in order? She's dead as a door nail in the on position. Thanks for all the input thus far HarleyT.

She's getting good spark most of the time when I test it visually. Shocked me actually a little once. I'm getting a new switch and going from there.

Well, to isolate it for sure. Take off the bar/chain, disconnect the kill switch at the coil. Start the saw, and make sure that it stays running. You will have to choke it to shut her down. If that is the case, then it is the kill switch, or the wire between the switch and coil is shorting out somewhere. If the wire is fine, then it is the kill switch.

Is the kill switch wire at the coil the real short on that is bolted to a spot near the starter wheel? Or is it the long blue wire going back to the start switch (my bet is this one given what I've learned from you about the function of the switch). I'd take a pic but the wife is tired of me messing with it.

The start switch is the kill switch, the other wire is a ground [grounding on the coil bolt]. If you disconnect the wire to the switch then you will have to choke the saw to shut it down or yank the plug wire.

Definitely the switch. I unplugged the start kill wire and it ran fan. Good tip about shutting it down using the choke. So, another switch is on order. Problem solved it seems. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back