All wood log splitters.........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but that DHT doesn't even come close to comparing to a splitter like this. If you got time to kill then fine, but you split some serious wood with a splitter of this caliber, and is why they are expensive.

I just can't see spending 1000 on a product that I know I won't be happy with and will have to replace with something better. Might as well by the loaner I have been using till now.

... For me, I expected more...for what it costs. I'll have one custom built to my specs and my needs.
I've read this thread with interest, just curious, could you fill me in with some details about your custom built unit. Who you are going to have make it, and what your specs are in the custom build. I am always trying to learn new things. Thanks!

And for so little money he could buy six or seven Chinese splitters and then go into the shadows to find some undocumented people whom he could pay next to nothing to operate them

To be fair and honest, I have zero experience with either an entry level light duty splitter, nor *any* commercial made splitter. The only splitter I ever used is a super heavy duty home made one, I commonly put two large 16 inch long rounds on the beam and split them. It had a 36 inch travel, it was designed to produce 35 inch long thick big fireplace splits. The log lift would pick up..don't know, do know it had zero problems with rounds I could barely flop or roll into it, well over 300 lbs. And when loading multiple smaller rounds, most likely went over 400. No apparent strain, so would most likely do 5 or 600. The trailer frame it is built on is heavy enough I can't lift the tongue, have to use my truck jack. It will bust some wood, albeit only has a tall single wedge.

Currently not running or usable, but considering it was built in 1951, I bet it paid for itself sometime along the way.

With that said, following the above, theoretically speaking, if I was gonna drop multiple thousands on a powered splitter, I would accumulate the parts and steel needed, do as much prep work myself as possible, then turn over the final welding to a pro welder. Then I would have what I wanted, at the cheapest price most likely. Take ideas from wherever in the design stage.

Just wondering if the folks with All wood splitters are still happy with them or if there are any issues they wish were different? Thinking about buying one.

I'm sure you read the rest of the thread......I had one, was not happy with it. I had one custom built but someone that used to spend more time on AS, and couldn't be happier. Of the pieces the All Wood wouldn't split, my new one would split 98% of those. Also the hydraulic system was designed right, from the tank to the cooling system to the electrical of the whole unit.

There was someone else on here, I don't remember their name, but they had one that they didn't like. It wouldn't split stuff that was put on the beam. Rather then upgrading it, they were going to build one on their own and were asking for tips.

I can only state my experience. However, you just don't see people talking about them very much on the net. The build quality is severely lacking. I've had horrid customer support when I had mine....which lead to the return of the unit.

I have an All Wood but I didn't have the experience GM_Grimmy had. Of course it needs a little more tonnage. But there's nothing that I can't eventually split. I try to read the wood the best I can and pick the right line. I do have a SSHD coming next week. But I'm getting that because I quarter all of my wood with a skid steer splitter and I want something faster. I got the All Wood because it was significantly cheaper then a Timberwolf when I got mine. That was around 2010. And I probably will use it along side SSHD. If I had the option back then I probably would have gotten a skid steer splitter and SSHD. Now that I have the All Wood it will be nice to have 2 splitters going at once.

I have an All Wood but I didn't have the experience GM_Grimmy had. Of course it needs a little more tonnage. But there's nothing that I can't eventually split. I try to read the wood the best I can and pick the right line. I do have a SSHD coming next week. But I'm getting that because I quarter all of my wood with a skid steer splitter and I want something faster. I got the All Wood because it was significantly cheaper then a Timberwolf when I got mine. That was around 2010. And I probably will use it along side SSHD. If I had the option back then I probably would have gotten a skid steer splitter and SSHD. Now that I have the All Wood it will be nice to have 2 splitters going at once.
Which model all wood do you have?

They were advertising on Facebook.

52gpm pump with 38hp engine. I don't seen how that would work. At even 2000 psi you need about 60hp.
None the less, it'd be a fuel drinker. IMO I think most thing that needs more than mid 20hp should use a fuel sipping diesel.

Well..... a fellow sugar maker and friend ordered on of these Alwood splitters back in septempber and still has not seen it yet. He was told the build time was 5-6 weeks when he ordered it. Glad I did not send them my money. He keeps getting the "soon" line, he is super disappointed in the company.

Demand your money back. He played that game with me too. 2 months turned into 4 months with no updates. The guy isn't very good an doing business.

I just can't see spending 1000 on a product that I know I won't be happy with and will have to replace with something better. Might as well by the loaner I have been using till now.
Buy a good one! It will only hurt once, but if you don't, you will remember it forever! If you don't have the money now, wait until you can afford it.

I don't understand the thinking behind a SSHD being faster than a hydraulic unit that will split a round into 6 or 8 pieces in one pass. I guess if you like handling the wood over and over then I guess the SSHD is the way to go. And yes, I have used a SS many, many years ago and it's a fine machine, just not for me.

Back