Almost died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to my primary doc, not too good of a chance me getting to return to cutting. Apparently there are valves in your veins that prevent reverse blood flow. Between the initial injury and clotting, they were more than likely damaged as evidenced by swelling. The thinners don't dissolve the clot, there is a separate med for that. But due to the surgery I do not qualify for the clot busting drugs. So as the clots slowly dissolve, the damage to the veins slowly builds. So by the time they are gone the valves will be pretty well screwed so bye- bye to anything constrictive on my leg (hooks) or even further up the leg (saddle) that might potentially cause a clot to form. I guess I could run a bucket but my big niche were the big ones with no equipment access. So I'm still crossing fingers he's wrong on the prognosis. I have another follow up with the orthopedic from the ER tomorrow so we'll see what he says.
I wouldn't put too much stock in what the primary doc says. Barring an unforeseen infection, I'll bet you'll heal up fine

10 yes ago I exploded the big toe on my left foot. (Smashed it bad!.. like it blew openbthe skin and popped like a grape bad). , docs said I'd never walk normal again. Pfft.
It bothers me a bit, but I walk just fine.

I'm glad you'll be ok. Take it one day at a time. Worry about how well you'll be able to return to doing stuff won't help anything. Don't rush it. I think some of the time the Docs are giving you the worst case to cover their butts. I tore a ligament in my right ankle in a wreck and had to be in a walking cast for around 4 months. They told me I'd have to have surgery on it for it to ever be normal again, etc. Thirteen years later, still no surgery and I can spike climb/walk just fine. It's really amazing what you can heal and recover from especially if you take care of yourself.

Glad you're still here. That looks horrible. Anyone that says they have never one handed a saw has probably never ran one. Another good reason not to climb alone. I had a handfull of stitches in my left leg just below the knee on the inside from a non work related injury. I was in the bucket the next day and climbing just a few days later. The climbing pads were quite uncomfortable on the stitches but also protected it in a way. Worst thing was the stump grinder threw a small chunk right into it. Broke it open at the bottom a little. I had to stop after that. So don't be in a hurry to get back in the tree. Take your time and take it easy. You'll be back in the tops again. And that is the best therapy.

I can't say anymore than thank you guys. Between you guys, local trimmers whether hacks or pros, and old contacts from when I lived in Pittsburgh, the tree community has been one of my largest groups of support; I'd imagine the brotherhood that occurs with soldiers is similar albeit for very different circumstances. Safe cutting.

Just a quick update. After a heart to heart with my doc he released me from having to stay in bed all the time with leg in the air! I also got him to agree that the crutches weren't necessary, just a detriment to my mental health. I did a fair amount of crutchless walking yesterday with only 2 slight issues with hyper-extending the knee. Crazy how a few weeks makes such a huge impact to muscle mass and flexibility. Still not allowed to work; was part of our agreement. So cane in hand for back up guess it's time to start making a come back. Think I'm going to shed the Wraptor for at least the first month or so when I do get back to work. Its sweet and all but I need the leg back good and strong. Thanks to everyone that chimed in and helped to keep my outlook and spirits up.

Thanks for sharing. I am not a professional tree person but use a chainsaw regularly both on ground and in tree and this is a great reminder of how dangerous they are. Especially when in a hurry or tired.

Glad you are on the mend.

When when I was in the Pittsburgh area I worked for Olar's Tree Service. Work was pretty consistent and he has some good equipment, couple of buckets, knuckleboom, walk behind bobcat etc... He worked for penn line way back when so knowledgeable about clearance work as well. He's always looking for good climbers if you have any interest.

Been doing a lot of walking, strength training, and work around the shop. All my equipment will be in tip top shape by the time I'm able to climb again. Did climb a couple chestnut oaks the other day, guys been super patient but was about to have his insurance canceled due to the trees hanging over his garage. Sum total of 45 min aloft to remove a couple limbs and an easy cut and pitch takedown. Was a bad idea though, almost as soon as I hit the ground got violently ill and threw up a couple times. Threw up once more on way home and spent next day in bed. Gotta go slower I guess. Really tough to be unable to do something you've taken for granted for years...

Been doing a lot of walking, strength training, and work around the shop. All my equipment will be in tip top shape by the time I'm able to climb again. Did climb a couple chestnut oaks the other day, guys been super patient but was about to have his insurance canceled due to the trees hanging over his garage. Sum total of 45 min aloft to remove a couple limbs and an easy cut and pitch takedown. Was a bad idea though, almost as soon as I hit the ground got violently ill and threw up a couple times. Threw up once more on way home and spent next day in bed. Gotta go slower I guess. Really tough to be unable to do something you've taken for granted for years...
You dodged a bullet. Count your blessings. Don't rush an f up what you have been given. Spring will come. God bless.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

make sure you stay up with all the rehab stuff. it will make a big difference in the long run. did the saw go threw the chaps?

you definitely dodged a bullet there as that vomiting etc is your body telling you it ain't ready for exertion. resist the urge to climb and let your body heal otherwise you could make things worse.

Latest posts

Back