ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Alpina 120 no spark, possible coil options?

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by epicklein22, Jan 29, 2014.

1. epicklein22

epicklein22 ArboristSite.com Sponsor

Hey guys, got a rare one on the bench. It's an Alpina 120 and it has no spark. Disconnected the kill wire and still have no spark. Obviously I can't just go buy a new/used one off the internet. Anyone run into this same problem and retrofit another coil to make it spark?

2. Little Al

Little Al AboristSite Guru

I`m not completely sure but think there were 2 ignition set ups on 120`s one type like the one I have has what I think is a points type coil & a black plastic module by the air box, I have not had to try it on this saw as the spark is good, but on an Alpina Prof 55 that ran out of spark I replaced the plastic unit with a NOVA 2 chip & it works fine, the other coil type is fully electronic & only fixed by replacement. As far as I`m aware no other saw coil will fit [ stand correcting if any one knows of 1 that will] The only place that used to carry replacements is a German co that will not I understand ship out of Europe + you had to be sitting down when you looked up the price, but of late a lot of 070 & 120 plarts are listed as NLA. I fear it`s a be very patient & check Ebay often, you could look on Ebay.de or Ebay. it, Best of luck, Shame really as they are a good saw when going.

3. saxman

saxman Addicted to ArboristSite

This sounds crazy I know but I was working on a buddy's Homelite XL12 awhile back that had a dead coil. I read on the Homelite forum site that you could wrap it in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and that would fix it. I thought it was crazy but having nothing to loose I tried it and it worked. The blue Prestolite coil worked fine after the heat treatment. I know it's sounds crazy but what do you have to loose? If you try it, make sure the wife is gone.

4. Little Al

Little Al AboristSite Guru

I have a guy near me that swears a non functioning coil can be brought back to life by putting it in a freezer bag & ``cooking``it over night in the freezer , Never tried it, so can`t comment on whether yea or nay, but he says he would bet money on it, & he`s one of the short arms deep pockets type so maybe it solves the problem

5. blsnelling

blsnelling Site Sponsor

Why would you want to waste your time on an old dinosaur like that? Don't you have more promising saws to work on? On the other hand, my Alpina 90 is lonely and would like a big brother:)

6. epicklein22

epicklein22 ArboristSite.com Sponsor

Might have to give one of those tricks a try. One says heat, the other says cold to bring them back. LOL

Brad, it's not my saw. Just working on it for a guy.

Nova module wouldn't work, as it is a one piece electronic setup.